Internal Combustion Alarm Clock

"The size of a small generator and [] powered by gasoline" the "Gas-powered clock radio is sleek, durable, easy on your electric bill, and surprisingly quiet," the product's marketing description states.

It was awarded the US Environmental Protection Agency's "Energy Star" certification, so that's OK then.

John Stumbles

I've long been suspicious of many of these consumer goods certification/labeling schemes.

Forestry Stewardship Council is well known to be abused, with far more timber coming from some countries managed forests than could possibly be produced.

We all know on here that the energy efficiency surveys in homebuyer packs are a useless tick-box exercise - because they don't actually measure what matters - insulation and airtightness - and instead count energy saving lightbulbs.

Recently I heard a Radio4 prog that debunked bamboo-fibre fabrics/ clothing - apparently it's broken down with vast quantities solvents before being reconstituted into a yarn - ecologically sound - not.

And so - energy star is rubbish too - yet another marketing scheme masquerading as a watchdog.

We could really do with some legislation/enforcement forcing it to be made clear this sort of labeling is just *marketing*.

Reply to
dom