Interior walls

Hello, hope you don't mind me just barging in here and asking for help straight away.
I've just moved into a Victorian terrace and there's a fair amount of work to be done. With winter not so far off I'm going to concentrate on a little cosmetic decoration first. On removing some layers of truly horrid wallpaper I've noticed that the plaster work is a little uneven. My question is; can anyone recommend a good quality preparation, preferably painted on to the existing plaster, that will give me a nice smooth finish. Or, and break it to me gently, do I have to re-plaster the room. I say I, I mean someone else, a plasterer for instance.
I'm rambling.
Cheers
Crumpet
My question is; can anyone recommend a

You could sand the walls with sandpaper having put the sandpaper round a block of wood so that it rubs off the tops first rather than following irregularities. It depends on how big the uneveness is.
Rob Graham
"Dave Cook" wrote | I've just moved into a Victorian terrace and there's a fair amount of | work to be done. With winter not so far off I'm going to concentrate on | a little cosmetic decoration first.
I'd suggest fixing the roof first :-)
Owain
Owain wrote:

That's very helpful Owain. Thank you for taking time out to point me in the right direction. There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling.
Dave