interior gloss paint recommendation.

Hi,

Can you recommend some type of gloss paint for interior woodwork that applies well to give a good finish and lasts. Thanks.

Reply to
William.R.Reisen

Personally I use water based acrylic stuff. It doesn't last quite a long a solvent based paint, but it is many times easier to recoat when it needs repainting and doesn't have that horrible 70s high gloss look.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I like the very high gloss but didn't know you could still get it!

The water-based acrylic is our choice now for many reasons.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I prefer the satin finish myself. The gloss is a bit too heavy and shiny for my liking.

I used Crown white satin paint on the bannister about 5-6 years ago and it still looks good.

Reply to
RedOnRed

When I used to use gloss paint for interior woodwork Akzo Permaglaze was my favourite.

However, now progressed on to trade oil based eggshell.

Reply to
RichardS

It's a very personal decision but I can't understand the description of 'heavy' for anything white :-)

My choice of glossy white is to reflect as much light as possible. I hate dinginess - some people call it cosy.

I first came across the use of gloss white on interior walls in the 80s when I stayed with an American journalist in his low-ceilinged, small windowed old house with a tiny garden growing high bushes and shading the window, in Chelsea. His wife had a flash of insight to transform the small house with the use of highly reflective surfaces and I wanted to do the same. It worked wonderfully - especially in our north facing sitting room. Despite his concerns Spouse notices neither colour not texture, there's a feeling of light all the time and the artificial stuff doesn't have to be switched on until later than before.

As a result, when we rebuilt our caravans all the surfaces in there were also painted white.No, they don't look like mobile breast screening units, they're light and airy and they both look bigger inside than they did when they were decorated with 'wood effect' (yeurch!).

Another benefit of reflection is that as we age our eyes need as much light as possible :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

if you're after a brand then Dulux Trade is my favorite

RT

Reply to
[news]

Dulux Trade paints, not the shed stuff. You pay more but get a far superior product.

Reply to
TonyK

Any "liquid gloss" oil based paint with a high VOC rating will do. The best finish by far, but yellows over time. Acrylic paints look like plastic, are not as hard wearing for skirting etc, but do stay white.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The greatest wear and discolouring in our house occurs on the edge of doors, under the handle. Nobody except me uses the handle whether or not they have oily hands :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks for the info:)