Interesting Double Glazing behaiour. May be OT.

The front of our house faces South, and the rear, oddly enough, faces North.

The front (southfacing) was double glazed about 20 years ago, but that has nothing to do with any odd behaviour.

The rear (northfacing) was double glazed about 2 years ago. A strange (to me) behaviour was soon noticed - but is it good, or bad?

So, depending upon changes to the inside or outside or both, temperatures, patterns of condensation appear on the outside of the outer pane and the inside of the inner pane (not between the panes - not at all). The patterns are 'complementary'. If the inside pane has condensation round the edges, the outer has condensation in the centre, and vice-versa - if you see what I mean.

Is this good (better than the front of house old glazing), or better?

Comments, especially from knowledgeable persons, would be gratefully received.

GOG

Reply to
GOG

Shooting from the hip, that looks like thermal bridging running from the center of the inside, via the frame to the center of the outside. Condensation will happen at the coldest points. I.e. if its cold outside, the condensation will be at the middle of the pane outside, and near the frames inside.

If the room is colder than outside, the pattern will be reversed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, good thinking.

But is that good, or is it bad, compared with whatever one might have expected?

To put it another way, ought I to complain - or, even, ask for my money back?

GOG

Reply to
GOG

Sounds sensible: are we talking metal/UPVC/Wood? Presumably metal frames would be more likely to show the effect. Possibly also, condensation on the outside of the glass would help reflect heat back into the room and vice versa.

S (also shooting from hip...)

Reply to
Spamlet