Interesting blog on fracking

shows how old I am.i was working as a student at Bruce Peebles when they made the generating sets for Kincardine. They had to go by sea from Leith to Rosyth since there wasn't a bridge strong enough to take the lowloader.

Reply to
charles

[citation needed]
Reply to
OG

Of course, 132kV is only included in the transmission network in Scotland; elsewhere it's part of the distribution network. What's not clear is how many of the pylons in the distribution network are 132kV and how many are lower voltage.

Reply to
docholliday93

Like Cambodia?

Reply to
OG

Unless we build non-nuclear, and therefore much cheaper, alternative baseload, do wake up at the back there!

You're obviously trying to vie with Steve and TNP as the stereotyping idiot of the year award. Apart from what I've said already, I'm not biting. There's always something more interesting to do.

Reply to
Java Jive

So actually that's at least 22 pylons per turbine, and that's still not including all the 3-phase poles, etc. However, it is at least now getting to be a realistic comparison.

That is an esoteric point which, from the eyesore point of view that I was making, matters not a jot.

Reply to
Java Jive

No, not like Cambodia.

Hopefully, you are terminally stupid and we won't have to put up with your dribblings much longer.

Reply to
Huge

That your best shot?

Reply to
OG

If they're heating their shower water solely with renewable energy, you'd not need to brand them, just sniff.

Reply to
John Williamson

It is actually a really hard thing to pin down, because in the end with VAT on everything so much is invisible, and not all goes through govt central.

So what data there is can be spun both ways according to your political persuasion.

you end up with taxing the taxes..fuel for example. Pay fuel duty then VAT on the fuel duty AS WELL. then there's council tax,. doesn't go through govt at all.

And corporation taxes and so on. Under Labour if it moved tax it. If it didn't move, tax it. In one way or another. Look at things like parking charges run by councils. Thast a form of tax. So are fines imposed for things liuke speeding. So is the MOT system to a point. The TV license is essentially a tax. When the government sells spectrum to 3G/4G operators, that's essentially a tax.

Directly accountable taxation is running at at least 40%. indirect taxation accounts for a lot more. Labours creative genius was to find ways of making people pay taxes without paying taxes. Renewable obligations are ways of essentially fining people who don't have certificates. All end up on your bnills one way or another, all because the government says so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Currently around 20 - 25% of a typical bill is the charge for the use of the infrastructure, or a minimum of around 115 quid on an average bill of 3600kWh / annum. That covers all infrastructure, pylons, poles, overhead lines, transformers, circuit breakers.

Your proposed changes will increase this to 565 quid which is as near as dammit the current retail cost of that energy including VAT, wholesale energy costs and the profit. So that is a 500% increase in use of system charges and a near doubling of the average electricity bill.

You claim it will make the system more reliable. According to OFGEM's report* on distribution network reliability, across the entire UK a customer would on average lose supply on seven occasions over a 10 year period and be off supply on average for one hour 10 minutes per annum. Usually less in urban areas and more in rural ones.

You appear to be proposing a spend of upwards of 200bn to prevent a loss of supply, which may not be anything to do with overhead line infrastructure, for an interruption of 70 minutes per annum. Underground cables are not 100% reliable either, faults happen and will take significantly longer to repair than those on overhead lines.

So congratulations, you have come up with a madcap idea worthy of Harry or Drivel and guaranteed to keep the country in recession forever.

*
Reply to
The Other Mike

For one thing, you've missed an important part of my original argument, which is that they should have buried it all originally. One of the reasons that much Victorian engineering has lasted so well was their willingness to over-engineer and over-spend to get it right from the start.

Secondly, this is a tautological argument: "Usually less in urban areas and more in rural ones." That's exactly my point, is it not?

It's all very well to talk about averages, but averages can mask a huge *range* of conditions. Where I was staying on Skye over the winter, we lost supply over, I think, the whole Isle for several hours at a time certainly two, possibly three times.

Up here noth> You claim it will make the system more reliable. According to OFGEM's report*

Reply to
Java Jive

Whether or not that is true, and there are those who would dispute it, it's IRRELEVANT to whether or not they are an eyesore!

So carefully avoiding saying that all politicians are stupid, you then go on to rather mar your magnanimity by accusing them all of being corrupt instead! I could happily accept that, like any other sample of the population, some are stupid, some are corrupt, some both, but anyway this too is IRRELEVANT to the argument I was making.

I note that you have carefully inserted the word unnecessary to alter the argument more to your liking, but to us who live here, one eyesore doesn't automagically become less visible just because some people darn sarf think it's more necessary than another eyesore, or vice versa.

Reply to
Java Jive

Opinion stated as fact.

The Darien scheme was indeed lunacy, but there were many other factors, such as many successive bad harvests, self-protecting English legislation, civil war, etc, however ...

"Although the scheme failed, it has been seen as marking the beginning of the country's transformation into a modern nation oriented toward business."

Although "those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it", to equate current conditions in the two countries with the 1690s is rather absurd. However, for those interested in history, John Prebble's books (an Englishman, BTW, but then in greater part so am I, even though I have chosen to live north of the border) are a very worthwhile read. He has written one entitled "The Darien Disaster", as well as others entitled "The Highland Clearances", "Culloden", and "A History Of Scotland", all of which I read many years ago.

Reply to
Java Jive

We could get them on benefits to dig the trenches? Or them in prison.

Reply to
harryagain

The reason Victorions over engineered was they were uncertain about the science behind their projects. The failures are no longer with us. (EG Tay bridge)

Reply to
harryagain

Don't forget the cooling towers and power station chimneys removed that we don't need. But oh,they're North of Watford Gap.

Reply to
harryagain

Good boy, well spotted . They're being installed for the non-existant power from wind turbines in Scotland.

Reply to
harryagain

The performance of these wind turbines is all worked out long before they're installed. Not a matter of "wishful thinking" As is the whole renewable system of which we only have a small part at the moment. It will take decades to complete. Frack gas (if it exists) will give us time.

The full output of the wind turbines will only be available when all these powerlinks are complete. Is that too hard for you to understand?

There will be further links to continental Europe to export surplus power in due course. And import it too.

Reply to
harryagain

Still thick as pitch and with your head up your arse I see.

Reply to
harryagain