Interesting blog on fracking

Heh heh. They are "Born-again-bikers". Trying to recapture lost youth/dreams.

Mostly they have very expensive bikes that youngsters couldn't afford. Big Harley being the ultimate. (Big noise togo with it)

Reply to
harryagain

We get the RAF flying by below us. 100 feet above ground level I would guess. Mostly Hercules and Chinooks

Reply to
harryagain

In article , harryagain scribeth thus

Blimey Harry!, you invented wireless power lines;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Corrosion and tree contact is down to lack of investment, and maintenance, caused by the loss* of thousands of electricity board staff across the country who walked every line route a few times a year checking for issues and who regularly trimmed the tree growth back.

'much' being neither here nor there as the legislated minimum conductor to ground clearance for any voltage at or below 33kV is identical. So it's all down to higher rated lines, heavier conductors and allowing for the sag.

It all depends on the line loading and routing. If you have direct buried cables in relatively flat areas with a deep subsoil then maybe. If the ground is rocky, undulating and with shallow subsoil, then overhead is preferable, the latter being commonly encountered in upland areas.

Scenery too boring was it?

Wait until after dark and he should spot the glow.

  • The root cause being clearly known and mentioned in here many, many times.
Reply to
The Other Mike

Because we read from top to bottom, left to right. Why should I start my reply below the quoted text?

Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

The lost context. What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

Yes. Should I trim down the quoted part of a usenet posting to which I'm replying?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Maybe is but it didn't stop this

Agree with that but double decker trains I've been on (Netherlands and Italy) where everyone is seated don't seem to have any more seats than a single decker with all the wasted space for stairs.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I wouldn't count on it. Most power stations have been built close to the demand, even some of the big ones built from the 60's onwards such as Fiddlers Ferry, Radcliffe and Rugele. Nukes are the main exception.

Smaller stations, that were amongst the biggest in their day, are often bulk supply points, where the metering from the grid to distribution takes place, for instance Hams Hall near Birmingham, three power stations, all long gone but with overhead lines and substations still in place.

Reply to
The Other Mike

En el artículo , The Other Mike escribió:

I've been on double deckers in the Netherlands and in Spain (Barcelona) and even though the stairs take up space, yes, there's unquestionably more passenger seats. Otherwise why would they bother?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

So those on the top deck could smoke and / or admire the view :)

Reply to
The Other Mike

In message , Java Jive writes

They die pretty regularly around here !!

Reply to
bert

In message , Arfa Daily writes

+1
Reply to
bert

In message , Java Jive writes

Economists are like weather forecasters - never held to account for being wrong.

Reply to
bert

In message , charles writes

Of course people want to know why a failure of service has occurred whether it be power outage late train delayed aircraft or whatever. The familiar complaint is always that no-one told them what was going on.

Reply to
bert

So, if we were to add in the cost of the missing staff who made it all work, that would surely alter the economic balance point between the two systems?

What about sea floor around the coast?, how does that compare?

:-) It does rather say something about his priorities in life, doesn't it?

:-) Which head should he use?

Reply to
Java Jive

no smoking on the French TGVs.

Reply to
charles

North Yorkshire?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

~

Most coal power stations are/were built near the supply of coal. Electricity being easier to transport than coal.

harryagain

Cat & Fiddle Penrith-Alston is another favourite spot I believe.

Reply to
bert

You can't just dump a ton of batteries in a tipper truck like you can coal.

Reply to
dennis

I drove that road for the first time shortly after the 50 limit was imposed. I don't hang about but to be honest most of the time I wasn't exceeding the speed limit.

That also has plenty of bends, some with poor sight lines, but more in the way of straights where even in a car it is easy enough to exceed 60. One of many roads in NY with relatively little traffic where bikers can easily exceed 100 mph if they aren't too careful.

North Yorkshire is reckoned a Mecca for born again bikers and a graveyard for some. North Yorkshire used to be almost a camera free zone but NY Police have recently invested in 3 new camera vans ostensibly to catch bikers but they are hovering up car drivers at an alarming rate and since the vans were deployed the recent decline in biker deaths has suddenly reversed. I think this year is already the the worst this century.

Reply to
Roger Chapman