En el artículo , tony sayer escribió:

^^^ ^^^ Oh. My. God.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Java Jive escribió:

And you are wrong. As usual.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I wouldn't know, as it wasn't me that misnamed the picture, but I would think a whole series were taken on the same day, and then got out of order. This would be rather unlikely with modern digital equipment which would probably also tag the pictures with the LL, but would be perfectly possible with older analogue equipment. Isn't that red car an old Lada, and the blue one behind might be something like a Talbot Horizon, those must put the picture back a decade or three -

1980s?

Anyway, all that makes SFA difference to the people who live in that street.

It also makes SFA difference which came first. Pylons are plonked on landscape, LA needs to allow more space for housing overspill, which is difficult to find in a beautiful country, so what are the pieces of land that are most easily sacrificed, why the very ones where there are already ugly great pylons! In this way, pylons act as 'pioneer eyesores' that first invade a beautiful landscape, just as certain plants like thistles are the 'pioneer species' that first invade bare ground. And like any junk area, say one near you where kids congregate and leave beer cans and other litter, unless the problem is stamped upon pretty quickly, likely these will soon be followed by stolen bikes, supermarket trolleys, and fly-tipping.

Human junk, whether >

Reply to
Java Jive

Reply to
Java Jive

One example, however much a media circus, doesn't make a sound statistical argument. I also note that they buried the replacement cables, which tends to support my argument rather than yours.

And what do expect me to do at this news? Burst into tears? Tear my hair out? Surprising though it may be to you, I'll just continue to post in the same rational, efficient manner that I always striven to follow.

Reply to
Java Jive

... and the more reliable urban cables are the >

Reply to
Java Jive

Sounds a bit like those that while smoking, sometime even while smoking a joint, will tell you how unhealthy normal coffee is, and that you should be drinking decaff, and eating organic foods.

Reply to
Java Jive

Reply to
Java Jive

En el artículo , Andrew May escribió:

Probably got his "FIRST CLASS DEGREE IN MATHEMATICS" counting sheep.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , tony sayer writes

I once saw overheads *dancing* in a strong cross wind where there was ice on the conductors. Sundon Park, West of Luton. I thought these were

33kV but ICBW.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

AOL!

The planned under grounding here is to be ducted but I think they plan to use heavier duty cable to reduce thermal issues. Plus it is only

11kV. >
Reply to
Tim Lamb

You are quite right about the hydro - but wasn't it a merger?

Reply to
polygonum

Reply to
Java Jive

I think it was called that, explaining the name, but the Head Office stayed where it was.

Reply to
charles

Rubbish.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

people with axes to grind usually do find the truth impossible to beleive.

We are talkingf 11KV, not 132/275/400KV

thats on poles less than 4 meters high running through woods trees and across farmland.

They are a nightmare to keep running,. Every few months some part of the county goes down due to lightning strikes, cables touching, tracking insulators or fallen branches.

the area manager has a permanent budget to underground ALL of his 11KV, and allocated a BIT of it to part pay for undergrounding 'my' section.

No gas or water cooling is involved, Its fat cables laid in trenches blinded with sand and backfilled. I saw them do it. Cots was around IIRC £27k for 600 meters of which I paid £18k.

talking out of your arse. if in its lifetime it costs more to keep running because its out in the wind rain damp and now, its cost effective to undergroud it.

not arguing with that - 132kbv is another game entirely.

Not really. they just isolated it dug it up and fixed it. reflectometer told them exactly where to dig.

there are. But you have to look at the way cost accounting works. If you HAVE it, you use it. otherwise you are throwing money away. When it breaks you replace it with underground. When you extend you add underground.

That's cos they cut down all the trees years ago and teh birds dont shit on the insulators cost there are no birds.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

for sure no ducting here. just armoured cable in a backfilled trench.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Really? From the horse's mouth , i.e. the National Grid:

You might care to take note of the section entitled "Water cooling" on page 14. In any case, I think NG know rather more about HV cable undergrounding issues than you and your sample of one low-voltage 11kV cable.

BTW, quote from the above for the fuckwitted Java Jive:

"When faults occur 400 kV underground cables are on average out of service for a period 25 times longer than 400 kV overhead lines. This is due principally to the long time taken to locate, excavate and undertake technically involved repairs. The maintenance and repair costs are also significantly greater."

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I was talking about 11KV, You called me a liar.

java jive is, we can at least agree, a total f****it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

I certainly didn't do that, I think you mis-counted your quote marks. Perhaps JJ with his degree in counting sheep could help you out there :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson