Interesting article about Iceland-UK power interconnect

on Ars Technica:

is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while back.)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Interesting that Iceland don't get ALL their own energy from geothermal sources yet and yet they're hoping to export buckets of it.

Not saying that it's not there for the taking but it just seems odd that they're not using 100% renewable power already.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Gulf oil states. A sweetener to compensate for reduced oil revenue?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I don't understand why they aren't routing it via the Faeroes to link up with what seems an obvious place for (yet more) offshore [1] wind farms, and (once we have the technology cost effective) tidal and/or wave power.

Splitting it into two might also make it more robust, and extendable

Otherwise I think this is a damned good idea, but obviously I have no idea of the cost effectiveness.

tim

[1] Yes, I know that members of this group think that this is dumb, but TPTB don't
Reply to
tim....

All the electricity and water (for heating) is renewable, the oil/ petrol for the fishing fleet and the cars is not.

Reply to
sigvaldi