'Intelligent' trailing socket?

Hi All,

I noted with background interest an 'Intelligent mains panel for PC' in a recent flyer from Maplin (LO1AQ).

It's a 6 way, surge protected trailing socket but with one outlet that is always live (for the PC), you plug all the other bits (monitor, scanner, printer, speaker psu, usb hub psu or desk lamp etc) into the other 5 sockets. When you turn on or off the PC the other sockets are switched on or off with it (automatically).

On the older AT systems you generally had a real on/off switch and you could fit a trailing lead to the switched outlet (with risk of burning the PC PSU switch). I remember the very early IBM XT's having summat more like a 3 phase cct breaker as a on / off switch! Kerlunk ;-)

I assume this is done with some form of current sensing from the 'master' socket but it must be quite subtle as modern ATX type PC's rarely switch right off (therefore some background current drawn)?

One assumes you could use the same with the TV .. depowering the DVD / / Surround systems as they are not much point without the TV being on (generally)?

Also I wondered if these are available elsewhere yet .. at better prices maybe please?

I doubt you would recoup the cost via energy saving very quickly .. I just thought it might be *safer* than leaving those things on 24/7 or

*easier* if the power socket is not within easy reach (and you remember / bother to turn it all off at the wall)? That's how you can tell if yer Mum / Dad have been using something .. the only time it's unplugged .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

aldi or lidl sell these, every now and again, a four way at about 12 pounds IIRC, so keep an eye on their specials pages. I bought two, one didn't work properly, the other is still fine, turning my monitor etc. on each day for the last year or so.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Hmm, don't think we haver either near (Nth London, Sth Herts) but I will look about ...

I bought two, one didn't work

So is that a 4 way in total or 4 'switched' from the one master please?

Maplin *were* doing the 6 way (total) for 19.99 (now 24.99) but that included a surge protector (so the on sale preice not bad considering)?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I got one at the local Lidi for somewhat under 10 quid. It's not very reliable in operation, though. Sounds like the relay sticks - although the sensing seems to work ok judging by the lights.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The cheapy ones I have are 3 plus 1, but you can always plug another 4 way in ! at the 25 pound mark the maplin one would be ok, I have seen them at 50 pounds plus.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Indeed .. as long as the total load etc ... ;-)

Ouch ..50 quid .. I'll wait for the 19.99 Maplin offerings again I think .. ;-)

Cheers fella ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hmm .. 'a relay' .. ?

I think I would have assumed it would be a solid-state solution these days?

As long as it works though .. ;-)

All the best .

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, it ticks when it works. ;-)

Not relay. ;-) You can somewhat easier guarantee the performance of a relay under most loads. Although inductive ones must be taken into account.

Might be also to give absolute isolation when 'off'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I opened mine (I'd plugged a hoover into the sense plug). It's got a fuse inside, that can be replaced. Replacing the relay would be fairly easy.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I've not even looked as it's not actually in use. I just bought it because it was cheap. ;-)

Likely a dry joint rather than faulty relay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wasn't there a rule change a while ago regarding these trailing sockets .. them needing some visable means of indication (I think they have always had a fuse) and do they *need* to be switched (I believe many dont have switches still?)

If they have a switch I would have assumed it would have only been a single pole and switching the live, therefore, would a relay be expected to be a double pole (assuming the switch *is* sp?).

What if the live relay pair fused and the netural leg actually opened?

All the best ...

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Are you saying that killed it Ian? I would have thought the only issue with the 'sense' socket it it should be able to sense the difference between a device being on or off ..... on being say 1>13A ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The 'sense' socket has a grey outline round it, and "max 500W" in biggish letters round it.

Inside is a 2A fuse connected in series with this outlet. The fuse is ideally suited to detecting loads of over 500W :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ah .. right ... (I couldn't see that from here ..) ;-)

That it will be .. or even lower wattage if that load has a nice startup surge .. like say the motor in a Hoover!

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m