Insurance disagreement

Hi

I'm not happy with an insurance co's schedule for works, and believe there are significant oversights in it. Can the team offer any tips before I go ahead with tackling them over this?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

If significant sums are involved it may be worth employing you own assessor.

Reply to
BillR

Any chance you could tell us what you are talking about or are you another gnube troll?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I dont know what the confusion is. Any chance you could ask a clearer question?

If you mean what is the repair job we disagree on, the prime point concerns the repair of a wall, and there are other smaller points. Total value of the difference, I would guess in the region of 1500.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

The insurers assessor is not an expert - he is just someone trying to minimise the sum they have to pay out.

Insist on them engaging an independant expert (a surveyor not a builder) to properly investigate the wall and the cause. If they will not, then employ your own and include his costs in the claim.

dg

Reply to
dg

Right, well contrary to expectations, it is an independant firm of surveyors [employed by them tho] that has made the duff recommendation. But what they recommend really doesnt sit right to me. I'm not at all clear how to tackle it though. I dont think its worth involving solicitors, but OTOH what the surveyor recommend I dont think is satisfactory either.

I would just bring in a 2nd surveyor for a once over, but I'm dealing with a claim that was originaly made by someone else, and I have basically no paperwork to say exactly what the claim covers. And quite simply I need it.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Why not get them to settle the claim in cash (something that both of you can agree is a fair cost for the work) and then get the work done exactly the way you want it done?...or is the likely cost of "your way" substantially higher?

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

Oops! My mistake! If I'd read the thread fully I would have found out that the difference in cost is some £1500. Maybe you could get them to agree to split the difference if you just take it in cash (get an expensive quote for the work to prove to them what it will cost if it is done your way) and then hope that you can get some good alternative quotes to reduce the final bill somewhat.

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

Mm, that sounds possible. Much of the work does involve structural fixing, so I guess the ins co would want to be sure that it is actually done, and inspection passed. If they simply hand out cash I dont see how they could be sure it was going to get sorted out, and the same company still insures the property so it does matter to them.

What do you think on this one?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

My guess is that they will exclude any claims based on this work until they have had a chance to inspect the results. If their solution was inherently flawed in your opinion then I'm guessing that your solution would be acceptable to them for the purpose of continued coverage after the work has been completed.

Running your solution past them in advance of an agreed cash settlement should be enough to ensure that they won't balk at it somewhere down the line when it really matters.

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton