Insulation "Sausage" does it exist?

My workshop is a converted barn with corrugated fibre cement sheeting roof. It's been sprayed with expanding foam and when they did it they assured me that they'd sealed the apex where there is a 'top hat' shape.

Well they obviously didn't - I recently had an enormous bonfire ( 1/2 mile of Leydandii hedge top and there is a line of 'fall out' ash down the length of the workshop. So if the ash blew in then my heat MUST be able to go out !

No chance of getting them back, as access is now very difficult with all the machines in place, and I don't want them covered in foam anyway !

SO - my thought was some form of insulating sausage that I can poke up there with a long stick - if there was such a thing as a 6" diameter cylindrical shape I reckon it would stay in place by friction.

??? BUT YOU MAY HAVE OTHER SUGGESTIONS PERHAPS ???

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Open a roll of plastic sleeved glass wool, and roll across the width, tie with tape?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, I'd just add some sheets over where I was working and use the expanding foam in any case. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

You can get jumbo pipe insulation eg

don't know if that would do on its own or if you could use it as a 'sausage casing' and fill it with a filling of something more compressible.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

bit of loft insulation in a carrier bag. Just ensure its the right way up

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Not certain I have fully grasped the issue.

You can get pre-formed metre wide foam insulation to seal box section to flat folded ridge. I've not seen this in big six but you would need to have the ridge off to fit. I have been through a 15' high asbestos cement roof and I don't recommend it.

Could you not cut some 75mm Celotex or similar the same shape but slightly larger than the big six gap and stuff that in? Narrow blade in the bandsaw. Don't breath the dust it is nasty stuff.

Couple of access platform sections and crawling boards to span your machinery?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What you want is a gian condopm filled with expanding foam ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The prize goes to TNP for his giant condom suggestion - now where did I leave my giant condoms .......

A/ Can't take ridge off - all glued together with 100 mm sprayed foam from inside :(

B/ No room for scaffold towers - all packed together too tightly and HEAVY

C/ The gap is very irregular so whatever I use needs to be able to conform and yet grip - I don't think anything in slippery polythene sheet / carrier bag will stay up there long

Now stop messing about and find me a 6" diameter cylindrical 18 metre long bit of light coloured expanded foam polyethylene, preferably free - how hard can it be :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'm not clear how small the gaps are, probably too big for "wall insulation" polystyrene beads? Could you get something like vacuum cleaner hose to the far end, and blow in packaging "peanuts", withdrawing the hose as it fills up? Or could you just get a cavity wall firm to blow fibre into there?

How about getting some 6 inch 500 gauge polythene tubing and making up "sausages" say about 2 metres long. Fill with shredded upholstery foam leaving one end open. Attach a vacuum pump and shink down to ~ 2 inch OD. Poke to the end of the space. Remove vacuum. Pull out vacuum hose now that sausage is "stuck". Repeat. (This has the merit that you could be using fire retardant material).

You will have seen the PU foam in a canoe video no doubt. Try something like that and you might blow the ridge tiles off so then you would

*have* to get the roofers in :-)
Reply to
newshound

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

I'm not so sure that is a daft idea - condoms can be blown up to a huge size, he says, remembering youth club antics, many years ago. Filling a condom with air is probably a little easier than stuffing one with loft insulation, though :-)

What you need is one of those large funnel things that are used to encase Christmas trees in netting. Stretch the condom over the funnel, stuff with insulation and then have a long row of condoms up in the roof. Help protect the workshop from STDs, too :-)

Reply to
News

There's video?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hopefully this is a link to a picture of the 'apex gap' :

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Oh well in that case I would just get some "layflat" polythene tube and a big pack of fire-retardant polyurethane foam upholstery chips and make your own sausage. I had visions that you had to fill the gap axially, starting from one end! I can't see that polyene is going to slide out once it is stuffed in firmly with the right amount of packing.

newshound

That was my thought, where an appropriately sized polythene tube can be put in place and filled with expanding foam in situ. Or done in parts?

Reply to
Fredxxx

not condoms but sections of e.g motorbike inner tube?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Hmm.. If you use expanding foam if should be fire resistant which is 'kin expensive.

I am still surprised that you can't get safe access. Builders bandstands? You can span more than 4' with crawling boards.

Hand trim the existing foam to form a wedge socket. Cut some PIR insulation into strips to fit.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If the weight would not be excessive I wonder if you could "roll your own" from:

a. floor protector roll - eg

b. loft insulation (folded over at ends to reduce gaps between sections); and c. a "former" to provide rigidity - eg sections of 40m waste, drainpipe?

Reply to
Robin

The insulation firebreaks you tack around windows (to stop fire tack up the cavity) may do he ... insulation in a plastic sausage.

Reply to
rick

/Hmm.. If you use expanding foam if should be fire resistant which is 'kin expensive. /q

?? £8 a can at screwufux?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In message , JimK writes

My last supply was from Wickes and the cans didn't seem to go far for the money.

Reply to
Tim Lamb