insulation but no easy access

Make sure there's enough room to turn round and come out again ;-)

I'd be tempted to screw insulated plasterboard under the existing ceiling, and have it reskimmed. If it's an old house with decent ceiling heights, you could probably afford to lose a few inches off the height of a back bedroom.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Floor to ceiling cupboards ennit?

Reply to
stuart noble

another advantage of this is that you can have the vapour barrier on the warm side, under the old ceiling, I worry about warm moist air percolating up through old ceilings and condensing in the rockwool.

probly only a problem with bathrooms and kitchens though and rooms full of plants.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

I wouldnt do that, you'll need to come out backwards. What does matter is that you've got someone else there in case of a problem. Its very easy to wind up stuck in those low spaces, often due to unforeseen issues, and if you're on your own it quits being funny fast.

More money less work.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

You could probably punch your way out through the roof tiles ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Nah, when we had ours done a few years ago (one of the supplier subsidy schemes) IIRC the cost of buying the insulation for me was about the same as the whole job cost.

Reply to
chris French

Hi, In a similar situation I made a big funnel on the end of some plastic downpipe and poured in vermiculite...I presume that you could make a long-handled plunger device for the pipe if you do not have enough fall for it to feed down to the far end....or the rake idea previously mentioned. Good luck...D

Reply to
gilli

How innovative! Got me thinking rubbish chutes now, but 12" diameter would rule that out. Amazing how much meaningful work you can do on a project from a seating position. No, she doesn't buy it either :)

Reply to
stuart noble