Insulation 70s flat?

I've got a 70s built flat with:

a) Flat concrete roof b) 10 inch thick brick-faced outside walls. I don't know if they are cavity-wall, brick facing on concrete, or solid brick c) Double glazing

Are there any reasonable options for improving the insulation?

For example, would there be any benefit in applying a one or two inch layer of Celotex on the interior ceiling? Would that potentially cause a condensation problem between the Celotex and the existing ceiling?

Similarly, what about applying a layer of Celotex on the inside of the exterior walls?

Are there any exterior insulating cladding systems I could try and persuade the freeholder to fit, even if at my cost?

Would triple glazing be a better first option?

Thanks,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

I've got a 70s built flat with:

a) Flat concrete roof b) 10 inch thick brick-faced outside walls. I don't know if they are cavity-wall, brick facing on concrete, or solid brick c) Double glazing

Are there any reasonable options for improving the insulation?

For example, would there be any benefit in applying a one or two inch layer of Celotex on the interior ceiling? Would that potentially cause a condensation problem between the Celotex and the existing ceiling?

Similarly, what about applying a layer of Celotex on the inside of the exterior walls?

Are there any exterior insulating cladding systems I could try and persuade the freeholder to fit, even if at my cost?

Would triple glazing be a better first option?

Thanks,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

If you post via google groups, and then can't see your own posting a few minutes later, best not to assume it's gone missing and re-post, it usually turns up eventually (twice!)

Reply to
Andy Burns

That, I knew. Unfortunately, I hit refresh on the post-posting screen by accident, Firefox 2.0.0.10 didn't ask me if I wanted to re-post the forms data, and bingo, we all got the second posting. Sorry about that. I get irritated by duplicate posts as well. Thank-you for the well intentioned advice 'though.

In partial answer to my own questions, having read some of the Celotex site, Celotex claim to have a product that can be laid on the exterior of a flat roof, and as the roof needs re-sealing this year anyway, I might be able to persuade the landlord to look at that option. Unfortunately, the roof is 'trafficed', which makes life awkward (and more expensive). I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that flat roofs are great in theory, but don't work out well in practice - at least in the British climate. Several of my neighbours flats have particularly nasty roof leaks which the landlord has been completely ineffectual about. The problem seems to be that the water gets in at one point, travels several yards under the asphalt/bitumen/felt and exits at a convenient weak spot in a bedroom ceiling, making it very difficult to work out where the water ingress is actually occurring and perform remedial action.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Double/triple glazing generally takes a long time to pay for itself unless the windows are huge. Better to line the curtains with insulating lining. Sounds like the roof/ceiling isn't an option either. Which just leaves the walls and floor, assuming you have draught-proofed. Carpet does insulate. You can get wall panels that provide quite good insulation. Downside is that they are difficult to fit shelves or cupboards to, and of course they make the room a bit smaller. Its worth checking that the wall doesn't have a cavity. Filling this would be the easiest and most cost effective method. Also look at your boiler. If its getting on in years you could save a lot by installing a new one that condenses the flue vapour.

Good luck

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott