Insulating water tank in loft

A relative has recently suffered from a burst pipe in their loft - it's one of the cluster of pipes associated with the cold water tank and CH header tank that they have in their loft. The 2 tanks are on an elevated platform.

To prevent future bursts, our plan is:

1) Remove all insulation from underneath the tanks (they are directly above the airing cupboard). 2) Drape a couple of rolls of insulation such as
the top of the tanks so that they hang down far enough touch the ceiling joists. The intention is to insulate the tanks and all associated pipes from the loft-air, and bring them nearer to the temperature of the airing cupboard.

It's going to look like a giant glass-fibre tea-cosy when finished.

Does this sound OK?

Are we likely to get condensation problems if we completely cover the tops of the tanks in this way?

Reply to
MrFerrous

It's what everyone else does. Or at least are supposed to. Works fine here and elsewhere I've seen it done. Provided you don't leave the house powered down for extended periods, that is.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Don't the tanks have close-fitting lids?

Reply to
dom

Very sound plan actually.

A little maybe. If you indulge in cooking or hot sex in the room under the tanks they may be cold enough to drip on you.

Perhaps a vapour barrier under them?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've NEVER seen a loft where the water tank was draped in rockwool insulation. My own tank has a lid and a thin plastic insulation "pillow" lying on the top. Inadequate, in my view.

Shortly before leaving to go away for Christmas, the bitterly cold weather was really starting to worry me, so I did what the OP suggests. I ripped up some of the insulation (from the joists) and draped it over the pipework. The pipework had already been insulated by the builder, but as yet another example of shoddy workmanship the elbows and T-joints had been left naked to the air. So I wrapped small pieces of foam tube around them, too, before applying the ripped up rockwool. I also left the loft hatch open and left the CH/hot water on medium for a few hours a day.

In 2011 I shall fit a 60w greenhouse heater tube near the pipework and a remote (wireless) thermometer that I can monitor constantly in cold weather. One cannot be too careful and the thought of a major pipe failure fills me with horror.

MM

Reply to
MM

OK. I've seen loads - certainly more than the sort you describe.

Reply to
Skipweasel