insulating under wooden floors

Page 4 of 4

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Peter Taylor wrote:
[snip]

You have a MAJOR problem. I know this is UK.DIY but I think you need expert advice urgently.
To original poster: It is a very bad idea to do anything that might compromise underfloor ventilation or damp-proofing. You run the risk of getting dry rot. If you are raising boards, take a good look underneath. Check for damp, bad smells, beetle, rot, mice, etc. Remove rubbish (in case it bridges the DPC). Clear all airbricks.

No he doesn't. Wet rot is only a problem if the structural integrity of the timbers is affected. Get rid of the water and the rot won't grow.
J.
--
John Rouse

It will be a good opportunity to have a look down there so we'll make a decision when we get to it. Thanks
AJ
PS. When did google groups get so smart that it will link a new thread with an old one with the same subject? I'm sure it hasnt always done it.

Been doing it as long as I've been using it (which is a few years). And dontcha just love those See rest of message (1 line) links <grrr>. But what I really like is when you follow a link from the search engine to the archive and the latter says the article doesn't exist, please check your URL! Still, what'd we do without it, eh!?
typed:

Prey tell?

with the result. No negative effects so far (1yr on). I also sealed the gap at the bottom of the skirting with acrylic sealant. Go for it.
--
fred

I would suggest that is a very silly thing to do, as would our timber suppliers. I have insulated the cellar ceiling with rockwool, but left six inches clear at each end so the joist ends don't get damp.
J.
--
John Rouse

floorboards?
--
fred

What is the difference?

fred

What is the difference before and after?

Ok, answer to a): it was warmer, answer to b): it was less draughty.
Floor is noticeably more pleasant to sit on or walk over in winter, difficult give an objective measure of improvement, but was surprised to walk over a cold spot and then realised it was where an area over an access hatch was uninsulated. Old, light coloured carpet bore the signs of 'dirty draughts', replacement carpets are clean & I can choose where & when I want to open ventilation.
How's that?
--
fred

Sounds fab to me.

It can be easier just to cut polystyrene solid foam insulation to size and jam it between the joists. No need for fixing battens or boards. You're not lacking in space down there, so no need to spend extra on Celotex, just Jablite or similar would be fine. Heat losses are low anyway, so I wouldn't be too concerned about cold bridging through the joists either.
Christian.

And - hey! - you could always bung some Hep2O down there between the insulation and the boards, connect it up to your CH system and get warm tootsies :-)
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:29:38 -0800, "John Stumbles"

No vested interest to declare then John? ;)
PoP