Insulating effect of curtains

Whatever the mechanism, and I can see the discussion points, it worked! And (apart from portiere rod itself) was inexpensive.

Reply to
polygonum

Blutack.

Or one of those dangling plates that should be fitted to the inside that people nearly always incorrectly fit to the outside. They are intended to stop outsiders looking through the keyhole but also cut down draughts.

Reply to
dennis

That's one of the things that puts me off a wall-o-doors (the bifold doors that seems all the rage). Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

won't it get stuck in the lock? Yes - do they do them for UPVC? If it was wood I would have bodged something myself by now. (And got frowned at I'm sure) :)

Reply to
mogga

That's the problem with black holes the 'suck' everything up ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Sew you say. I blame the computer. ^^^^^^^

Bad workman always blames the tools

Reply to
Nthkentman

Sticky tape.

Oh. B-)

Our front door has a bit of copper hanging from a brass screw that goes through a hole in the plate above the keyhole into the door. Doesn't kill the draught be certainly reduces it.

I think there might be a market but making something that is universal and easy to fit will be the tricky bit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have a solution.

Give your wife a good seeing to in the the room with no curtains and get one of your mates to turn up and look through the patio doors when you are half way through the job.

That should get the sewing machine going.

Reply to
ARW

FFS even B&Q have them!

Andy Champ

If no mates then leave an old cooker outside . . . .

Reply to
fred

I imagine some sort of rubbery plastic stuff that'll stetch around the raised bit of the lock - but I don't know enough about materials. I did think about something that hangs over the handle and covers the raised area of the lock but I think there is an awful lot of variance in sizes of this.

Reply to
mogga

Bluetack it on to the plastic?

Reply to
mogga

You used to be able to get a stick-on rubber cover with a slit through which you forced the key. It worked well - particularly because it reduced draughts even with the key left in - but not particularly attractive to look at. I managed to fit one *inside* the escutcheon which was an excellent solution, but obviously only possible with the right kind of lock. Not seen them for years though, sadly.

Richard.

Richard Russell

the keyhole is in the same baseplate as the handle, and the baseplate is a lumpy "antique effect" finish. So while I've occasionally thought about adding a cover, I've not seen anything that would work neatly.)

Reply to
Alan Braggins