Insulating cistern material

Usual story, combi boiler with hot showers - condensation on the cistern. I wanted to insulate the cistern without spending any cash.

I've got polystyrene kicking around and also foil backed foam (used behind rads), whats the opinion that this will do the job? - I'll stick it in with some silicone.

thanks

Reply to
gna03633

What do you mean by "the cistern"?

Where's you're combi located and where are your showers located. What's getting condensation on it?

Reply to
deano

"deano" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

sorry, toilet cistern

Reply to
gna03633

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:17:59 +0000 someone who may be gna03633 wrote this:-

One of the problems with the fashion for mains fed equipment is greater likelihood of condensation on toilet cisterns, as the water is a bit cooler. Plastic cisterns are less likely to get condensation.

The first thing to do is sort out the ventilation. Do you have extract fans above the showers? Do they run after the shower is used?

Do you drip-dry clothes in the bathroom?

Polystyrene insulation glued to the inside of the cistern should help. Use an epoxy glue to fix it.

Reply to
David Hansen

Just wire it to the hot.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thanks for the advice.

I do need to get some fan assisted ventilation to reduce the condensation whilst having a shower, so I'll sort something out when I can get a hole drilled in my external wall.

The condensation does not bother me enough to flush warm/hot water down the toiler ;-)

Reply to
gna03633