Insulating and lining out a shipping container

Stopping the heat getting through the first skin is important, insulation will slow that heat down but it the laws of thermo dynamics mean it will even out in the end. The safari roof would stop a lot of the heat getting in in the first place.

Yes, insulation inside as well for condensation, remember to tape joins and/or have a DPM on the warm side of some sort. The battening or ply lining will give something to fix things to.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How about using exterior insulation products such as done to the outside of houses?

Reply to
Adrian C

My loft is insulated top and bottom, the original 100mm wool on the floor and, subsequently, bats between rafters for when I used to work up there a bit in winter. I can't tell whether it's summer or winter up there, the temperature is remarkably stable year round, despite no heating.

Reply to
stuart noble

Insulation needs to be exterior really. If its interior you'll get interstitial condensation, the metal will rust badly, the insualtion will saturate and conduct, and evil moulds will flourish. Unless you laeve a gap from the metal and drill vent/drain holes.

NT

Reply to
NT

It will. But its also exceptionally invasive and a complete nightmare to control, even with glyphosate. Just say no! Try something you'll appreciate like passionfruit. Fast growing, easy to control, decisuous for winter sun, pretty flowers and fruit too. Ivy's way too slow.

NT

Reply to
NT

Rockwool holds water, but polystyrene doesn't. The container walls may be ribbed, which would provide ready made gaps behind the battens/insulation. Any condensation would then drain down to the inside floor, where at least you could see what you're dealing with.

Quite agree about the passion flower. It would cover the whole thing in a couple of months, but would need to be south facing, and have a structure (just string will do) to climb up. They don't have suckers like other climbers. A bit of a mess in winter though if mine is anything to go by.

Reply to
stuart noble

I've certainly had saturated polystyrene, but it wasnt being used as wall insulation.

true - very rustic. OTOH the fruits hang on the vine for months looking nice.

NT

Reply to
NT