Insulating an existing loft conversion...

Hi All,

Time to access your combined wisdom again...

We moved into an Edinburgh double upper colony flat last summer. It's become obvious that the insulation in the loft conversion isn't all it could be: forays into the tiny loft above the bedrooms and bathroom confirmed that a few rolls of around 70mm think insulation have been strewn rather haphazardly between the joists. Further investigation today has revealed that when the developers (who sold the flat to its previous owner) converted the loft, they just stuck plasterboard to the rafters without putting any insulation in (this is on the sloping part of the ceiling of the upstairs rooms).

It looks like we're going to need to do the insulation ourselves. We're supposing at the moment that this will involve removing all the plasterboard from the sloping part of the ceiling, insulating and then replacing the plasterboard. Are we correct? Is there a shortcut? Can we pour some kind of beads or similar into the gaps between the roof and the ceiling?

Assuming it's got to be done the hard way, are there any hints or tips anyone could share? What is the best type of insulation? Do we need to maintain air-flow inside the roof?

Cheers - Adam...

Reply to
Adam

Not sure if there is going to be an easy way. If you were doing the conversion from scratch, and assuming 2x4 rafters, then you would normally have 50mm celotex between the rafters and another 25mm underneath followed by plasterboard. This would still allow airflow to the timbers under the tiles.

To retrofit this level of insulation is obviously going to be a PITA! You could simply go for celotex backed plasterboard and stick this all over the existing plasterboard - not going to be as effective but probably a big improvement over what you have now.

Personally I would not be inclined to inject anything into the gaps behind the existing plasterboard, since there is too much opportunity to cut off all ventilation to the back of the tiles/timbers which would be a recipe for sealing damp into the timber and encourag rot.

Reply to
John Rumm

-88-

True, but not far off the amount of work required to do it properly - after all, pulling the plasterboard off will be relatively easy. Also, space is at a premium, so I'm loath to lose any.

This is pretty much exactly as I thought. Thanks for confirming it...

I just can't believe that anyone would do a loft conversion in Scotland (and only about 4 years ago, too) and not put insulation in.

Thanks for the info - Adam...

Reply to
Adam