Insulating a dormer....

Hi All,

As part of our renovation work, we have a stair way which runs from ground floor, to first floor and up to the loft room. In order to get the headroom, the top of the stair way comes out above of the roof line in much the same way as a dormer would but is flush with the lower external walls of the house. To complete the picture, the roof to the right of this "tower" is on top of the first floor (ie the tower is exposed to the elements only in the roof bit) but the roof to the left is on top of the ground floor (ie the tower is exposed at first floor and roof level).

At ground floor level, the side walls supporting the "stair tower" are made from single run of blocks (i.e. no cavity).

The question is, how do we insulate the sides of the "tower" which are exposed? The obvious answer would be to build out the cavity at ground floor and build it all the way up. The trouble is that I want to avoid losing the space this would take up.

The final complication is that we are rendering the outside and painting it so the solution needs to be total thickness the same as 1 run of blocks and we can make the outside match the other walls. I have seen dormers created with a sort of plastic (lead looking) sleeve that fits around the stud work but not sure whether you can render it or even paint it to match the rest.

Any help gratefully appreciated as this has me stumped...

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

Insulate the outside with celotex, expanded metal lathe over, then render. Quite commonly done. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Looks good - is there a tendancy to crack because of the potential movement of the underlying ply? Assuming that you pin the EML to external ply before rendering?

Reply to
leenowell

I would use internal 50mm studwork and celotex.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. Its pretty good.

Reply to