Insulated wooden compost bin

Would have thought base needs to be open or at least mesh to allow liquids to drain

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Fastest compost makers are the tumble type, like a 45 gall drum on its side, you turn it over every day ... compost in a month if enough nitrates in there. Can of urine speeds things up.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

You need to get mix right or you get slime .... RHS do a good leaflet on composting.

Contrary to what most people do ... grass cuttings are not good in excess, no more than 20% I put shredded egg boxes & contents of office shredder ... and keep layering. I would like to say I turn it regularly ... but I don't once in 4 months at most.

Like many I can't put 2m3 in at a time ... so not classed as hot stack ... mine get frequent small quantities.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

On Friday 21 June 2013 18:12 Rick Hughes wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It is open sort of - sits over loose paving slabs with gaps. IO was trying to make the drainage gaps not too big to stop the rats, though they seem to have just pinged round the flimsy front hatch.

Reply to
Tim Watts