Insulated plastic skylight door?

can anyone recommend a transparent insulated plastic that i can replace a small tiled subroof about 3 yards by 2 yards in size over the top of the stairs with, and knock out the ceiling plaster, so as to let some light through?

I could use the exisiting wooden framework and bolt the plastic onto it.

I was thinking maybe something cellular about 3 inches thick might be good.

and would i need planning permission or building regulation inspection?

the subroof is out of view of any neighbours..

can i put a door in it for easier access cleaning the valleys of leaves?

Has anyone got something similar ont he web i can look at please?

[george]
Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

George (dicegeorge) explained :

Look up 'light pipe'.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

i have lit my pipe...

ive seen lightpipes - expensive cylindrical reflective tubes going up but I want to bolt 4 sides of insulated transparent stuff onto the existing woodwork where the slates are now maybe with a metal frame on the outside to hold it down...

it doesnt have to be 100% transparent like double glazing so it shouldnt be expensive but i'd like it very insulated and waterproof...

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

wickes have Triple Wall Polycarbonate Sheet £36.99

Size: 3m x 900 x 10mm

is a lot more expensive than

Polycarbonate Twin Wall Sheet Opal £7.47

Size: 700 x 10mm x 3m

and both would need several bits joined together somehow...

whats the difference in heatloss between the two,

what else is there usable?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)