Insulated concrete

I'm working my way through conservatory leaflets, descriptions, how tos, &c and have encountered the phrase 'insulated concrete' as the mixture used in the base of a conservatory. What is 'insulated concrete'?

Reply to
John Cartmell

Is it a pile of insulation fitted under the concrete floor ?

Reply to
Rick

Apparently not. The phrase is: "We then pour approx 100mm of insulated concrete to form floor to specified level, ..."

Does 'insulated concrete' exist or is this advertising hype? Can you add something to concrete to give it insulating properties?

Reply to
John Cartmell

Air?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Maybe they mean whats also known as "feathercrete", where they add an agent into the mix to make bubbles of air. This is not anywhere neer as insulating as a good bit of kingspan.

Sounds like marketing bollocks to me though.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

At one time vermiculite was used with cement for insulating purposes (back boilers). Is it something like that? Is vermiculite still available>

Reply to
<me9

Yep, you can still buy it.

Reply to