Insulated Ceiling?

Changed two light fittings for a lady last week. late 50's early 60's house.

First one in a downstairs cloak at front of property. Removed the ceiling rose to find a 1" thick layer of polystyrene between the plaster board and the joists.

Second one was in a room at the rear, same thing, 1" thick polystyrene under the plasterboard.

Never seen this before, what was the purpose? Anyone know?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Perhaps it's a stash of contraband polystyrene. You know what these Kentish people are like...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Someone is trying to kill her off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Insulation, probably. I've got walls made of pb with about quarter of an inch of ps behind it. (I didn't choose it.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Frank Erskine writes

TMH didn't say which side of the Mudway the lady was on!

Reply to
Si

But why would you want to insulate the ceiling of a two story house?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The 'Kentish' side like me! Not the 'Kent' side.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But aren't both sides on the Kentish side? They seemed to be last Friday when zipping over said river on Eurostar.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Andy Hall writes

:) (after reading that description TMH is probably glad he's not really Kentish tho' :)

btw, I'm a MoK but living way off on the Kentish side.

Reply to
Si

So that when it's converted into flats downstairs doesn't pay for upstairs heating :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

Does it vary?

I was aware that Thanet is an island - kind of - but that really is the end of the earth.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The Planet Thanet as it's known around here :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman