Insulate your home even more

Loft new boiler double glazing

Just been suggested on the TV news that this woman does this - as part of an attempt to save face on heating costs. The boiler and DG are quite dear with a long payback time even at increased fuel costs.

What can people do once you've got all the basics covered?

I'm surprised they've not started fining landlords/homeowners who don't take all possible measures, but I spose there's time yet with the new energy certificates coming for rentals.

Reply to
mogga

It's not just about saving money though. Money is saved by insulation and a more efficient boiler but so is fossil fuel use.

Depends what you call 'basics'.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't think you need to fine landlords: just educate prospective tenants to look at the estimated energy costs on the EPC (with all the caveats about reliability) and be willing to take/pay more for those with better ratings.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

... unless the fuel used to manufacture and supply the new boiler etc. is more than the potential savings.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Buy more fleece jumpers, socks, hats etc. I love fleece. Hard wearing, warm as toast, dries on your body if you get caught in a shower, comes out of the washing machine virtually dry, and... is made from all them re-cycled bottles we all religiously take to the recycling type1/type2 "please wash and squash" recycling bins.

LONG LIVE FLEECE! :¬)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I went to the recycling bins this (OK yesterday) morning at Sainsbury's with a few carrier bags of bottles (various colours), jars, cans and newspapers. Apparently all (?) the bins were full, according to a LA guy who was trying to sort out an overflow of stuff, so he just asked me to dump everything into the back of his pickup, all unsorted.

I agree about fleece - the other day I was almost drowned in 'showers' whilst wearing a Berghaus jacket, but it was virtually dry by the time I got home.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Absolutely brilliant stuff. If everyone dumped cottons and wollens in exchange for fleece the nation would save a huge amount on reduced energy usage for clothes drying. I don't think Fleece towels would be quite the same though. :¬)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

A lot of people can get help via the Warmfront Scheme. The woman on TV didn't "want" to pay for the improvements, she could afford it in my opinion. They didn't say what she and her partner were earning or what benefits she was already in receipt of such as child benefit. She could actually have the work, or a lot of it, done for next to nothing. Energy companies do also subsidise insulation while some offer it completely free. They claim money from the Government.

Once we all switched to those terrible energy saving light bulbs, the companies realised we would not be guaranteeing the same minimum level of income. That's when they put all the prices up to keep shareholders happy. They wouldn't allow profits to dip because of people using appliances that use less.

Reply to
Ian

New boiler. Loft insulation. Cavity Wall insulation. Double glazing.

Reply to
mogga

Like cars, boilers are now built with so much exclusive and thus expensive, 'technology', that they are more rapidly becoming beyond economic repair and so require replacement. Environmentally friendly ' longevity ', doesn't interest manufactures of course, who understandably thrive on sales.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

A new boiler may not save money or carbon.

Its like all "green" stuff, you really need to look at the real figures to decide.

They interviewed an energy expert on the TV a couple of days ago.. they did a short piece about how you could save electricity using PV panels.. one guy had £21,000 worth of panels on his roof, when asked, he saved £150 pa in electricity, the expert (from rics IIRC) said you have to look at it like other home improvements, it gives you a nice feeling even if it doesn't save money, just like a new kitchen. There you have it, they are going to sell "green" in the same way as new kitchens, "It makes you smug".

Reply to
dennis

We've done all that - mostly years ago - and more. The only thing left for us is underfloor insulation but I bet the government's initiative won't cover that. Not that I want a handout, we prefer to do it ourselves.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

BUY???

Make! And re-make, once something is worn out.

I have to agree, I bought a fleece waistcoat on the cruise and it was surprisingly effective in the Arctic!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Micropore towels are the equivalent, I think, but they catch even on the tiny rough patches on my generally smooth skin. Someone I know uses them as nappies.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've got a warm front leaflet downstairs which lists what they do.

But even if I became eligible for it I'd like to think there's nothing left they can do - which means the bills I have are as low as they can get. So what then? Apart from not putting the heating on? OK I can get a slanket, or a fleece as people have suggested - but there's very little I can do.

That's what I feel about water meters though!

Reply to
mogga

Microfibre? I thought micropore was a type of surgical tape?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You're right.

Must be age ... better grow up!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Personally I wouldn't touch Warmfront with your barge pole. The contractors that get used are the ones with the lowest quotes for the work. What do you get if you pay peanuts? Add to that any tradesman that does good reliable work on schedule doesn't need peanuts.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

After, if not before or equal to, insulation is air tightness commonly called 'draft' proofing. No matter how well an enclosed space is insulated if there is air exchange that results in heat loss. Clearly new air needs to be introduced to the perfectly sealed home but that 'needs' to be introduced through a heat exchanger whereby the exhausted air heats the fresh incoming air.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

I disagree.. the guys that fitted my dads "free" ch were very good. They knew what they were doing, did a neat job and even put capping and stuff on which warmfront (actually eagas IIRC) don't pay for. They were a part of a bigish firm that does domestic and commercial systems.

The money they get paid isn't peanuts for CH, the money charged by many tradesmen is a ripoff as will be shown now there is a drop off in building and prices drop.

It should be easy to install CH with the ~£3k they pay. Its only 2 men for 2 days and an electrician for an hour or two.

Reply to
dennis