Instant isolating gate valve for copper pipes?

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Maybe I've invented something. I was thinking about those washing
machine hose connectors that you clamp round the copper inlet pipe,
tighten the screw and a sharp-edged pin forces a hole in the pipe.

Then while I was pondering the need for a isolating valve under the
kitchen sink, I thought, now wouldn't it be wonderful to have some
kind of similar gadget that you just position around the pipe, tighten
one or more screws and hey presto, an instant gate valve! You could
install one without even turning the water off.

MM

Re: Instant isolating gate valve for copper pipes?

Big hammer and lump of iron.

Re: Instant isolating gate valve for copper pipes?
And you open it how?

Re: Instant isolating gate valve for copper pipes?
On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 18:10:23 +0100, newshound

Turn the wheel to the left.

MM

Re: Instant isolating gate valve for copper pipes?
Some one has beaten you to it! See http://www.easyfitisolator.co.uk /

Re: Instant isolating gate valve for copper pipes?
On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 18:19:09 +0100, "John Storey"

Well, I'll be blowed!!! Looks fantastic. But the web page says "WRAS
APPROVED MAY 2012" which is very recent, so I don't know how many have
actually been tried and tested so far. Worth a closer look, though. I
hate having to turn off the water, cut the pipe to the right length,
fit the olives etc and hope for the best. A right PITA.

MM

Re: Instant isolating gate valve for copper pipes?
You know, that's brilliant! At 30, it's not even expensive - not much
more than the cost of a freezing kit and new stop cock. I have had
several cases where mains isolator valves are totally seized and in
awkward positions to get at. This is such a simple solution.

You can also use it ion situations where freezing won't work at all,
because the water is flowing.

Re: Instant isolating gate valve for copper pipes?
On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 18:19:09 +0100, "John Storey"

Brilliant.

Re: Instant isolating gate valve for copper pipes?
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 23:08:59 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

I received an email "thank-you" and further explanation from the
manufacturer after I had supplied positive feedback about their new
product. Apparently they have been working for some years on numerous
designs and testing, the idea having originally been thought of during
WW2. Let's hope some plumbers start using it and find success with it,
because this is potentially a great British product that could be used
anywhere in the world. The potential market is absolutely huge.

MM

Re: Instant isolating gate valve for copper pipes?

Did they say how many times you can turn it off/on before it starts to
let water through? I assume that you can't just use it as an ordinary tap?

Re: Instant isolating gate valve for copper pipes?

No. Put it this way, I have three isolator valves, three gate valves
and the main water supply shut-off under the sink. The other day I
closed the latter for the first time since moving in eight years ago.

The other valves have been opened and closed only a couple or three
times, e.g. to replace toilet cistern seals. I wouldn't envisage
closing the EasyFit except on very rare occasions.

But, given the ease with which they are apparently fitted, some people
might get carried away and use them as general taps. I've found even
the inline isolators with the screw head can leak a bit, as someone
pointed out in the thread. It happened to me on the downstairs lav
when I opened the valve after completing the work, but it only leaked
a tiny bit when I was pressing the screwdriver into the screw slot. As
soon as I removed the screwdriver the trickle stopped. I've monitored
the floor for puddles ever since, but never seen a trace.

MM

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread

Site Timeline