Instant heat handwarmer

I have bought a pair of instant heat handwarmers, they worked fine the first time but despite following the instructions (to wrap and put in a pan of hot water) I can't recharge them - as I they warm they get to a 'halfmelted' stage and dont liquify any further

Have tried putting them on a radiator too but no joy

Help!

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:   (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

Don't just put in a pan - you will probably need to place that pan on a heat source (e.g. the cooker). Even then, the melting takes quite a while (several minutes). Just be careful not to overdo it and burn/melt the plastic bag.

Reply to
Rod

Boil them for about 20 minutes. Make sure you don't run out of water in the pan.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

BTDTGTTS - several times. ;-)

You're not boiling it long enough if there are still crystals visble. A hot radiator will not do it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Boil!

You have to put a ridiculous amount of energy in, for the little you get out.

Reply to
dom

You want to be holding them near to 100 C, but not trying to boil all the water away (which is just wasting energy). They will take a while to liquidise, this is why they work so well as handwarmers. They absorb energy (latent heat of fusion) while melting and release it while solidifying. In contrast, a hot water bottle will store much less energy for a given volume.

Reply to
newshound

Serve with a hollandaise sauce, mange tout & couscous...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You haven't read the instructions.. put something in the bottom of a saucepan (pyrex plate) so they don't rest on the bottom, fill with water, cover, bring to boil and simmer for about 20-30 minutes. You don't need to boil rapidly.

Reply to
dennis

or if you're posh use your bain-marie

or if you're really posh, tell your cook to used the bain-marie :)

Reply to
neverwas

But for someone who suffers with reynards its the difference between pain and not pain. I've got the round circle ones.

Reply to
mogga

I think you mean Reynaud's

not Reynard's. :-)

However, my main reason for posting was to point out the heat pads which are single use (disposable). I found the post below which says what I wanted to say, including prices:

"Disposable heat pads which stick to your underwear and heat the painful area for up to 12 hours are very good but are expensive (approx £3.99 for three) very expensive if you need them regularly.

The cheapest disposable heat pads ive found are in Wilkinsons at 99p for a pack of two (these are also available on-line at Wilkinson plus."

I can confirm that they work just fine. (Partner has a similar problem that is helped ot some extent by these pads.) They *are* expensive but for occasional use, maybe when the gel pads are awaiting recharge, that might be acceptable.

In case Anna is still reading:

Have you thought of getting in quicklime and doing your own slaking? :-)

Reply to
Rod

Banish the thought! Slaking quicklime is a boys game :-)

These heat pads are for warming my hands when I am sailing on the broads. Dont ask why I should be sailing on the broads in mid winter

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Probably better than the sea as it is even colder out there and disappears twice a day (well, near the edges anyway)!

However I do remember 'The Broads' can go up and down quite a bit, especially noted Nr Yarmouth when we sailed there and back from Oulton Broad in our 14' dinghy (Leader) one day.

Dad said sailing the Wherry (the one that was based at Martham) was good fun and kept you warm, especially when going under the bridges. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Because they're full of grockles in summer?

Owain

Reply to
Owain