Installing new castiron multifuel stove

Hi

Have just bought a new multifuel stove on ebay and essentially it seems fine but definitely no frills at all - even down to no assembly / installation instructions.

Proposing to use existing open coal fire flue [had it swept] blocking off with masterboard and just poking a rear 5 inch horizontal flue pipe through a sealed hole in the board.

Will I need any form of flue bend back of the board, within the old hearth area after that ? - a bit confused 'cos intuitively one wants to deflect it all upwards but I've seen other strong recommendations to avoid bends in these flues and suppose all will rise anyway if the flue is working OK Believe current building regs. really require a T piece with one end capped but these alone seem to be =A3100++ and budget is tight so would rather avoid.

Will I really need to put a mound of rubble into bottom of hearth and cap it off with sloping mortar, as I've seen advised or can I just leave it empty ?

Re future access to the flue for sweeping, it seems that would be possible through the rear flue outlet but that's not a full 5 inch diameter 'cos of the spigot bolting lugs cast into it - is this still ok or should I make some little door[s] in the masterboard and seal/ screw them ?

Finally, the top flue outlet seems to come ready-fitted with a blanking plate that obviously one transfers to the rear flue if using the former - should I leave well alone or is it better to take it off and put it back with aid of some fireproof sealant ?

Any constructive guidance would be very gratefully received !

Thanks

David

Reply to
David

I would seriously consider a proper flue liner whatever else you do

search in here for "effect of recessing stove" to save me typing it all again!

happy to answer any queries

cheers jim

Reply to
jim

Many thanks indeed, Jim - will do that !

[Trying to avoid lining flue on budgetary grounds, but accept it might be 'needs must.']

Thanks again

David

Reply to
David

Fairly sure that is totally illegal actually.

Need to line the flue.

Spend the money, get a proper flue insatalled, and forget everything else.

You will not be able to stop massive tar build up, nor will you be able to sweep, an open flue chimney with a stove stuck in.

I would think your fire insurance will be void. I would hope so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To meet insurance, fire and building regulations you probably need a grand of stainless steel flue.

But if you have a wood supply, it will pay for itself quickly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Installing a solid fuel appliance is "building work" within the scope the scope of the building regulations.

You should be putting in a building notice to your local council, and following the guidance of the approved docs.

All of which basically says liner of a type appropriate to solid fuel, if the chimney isn't suitable as it is. Think $$$ if it's a Victorian chimney that needs a solid fuel type, stainless steel liner throughout.

However if a professional chimney sweep thinks your chimney is in good condition and suitable as it is, then maybe leave it for this Winter - but keep a very careful eye on soot buildup - particularly if you're burning any old rubbish, rather than seasoned hardwood.

But consider the consequences of a significant fire, whether due to the chimney or any other cause - and the possibility of voided insurance cover - because your insurer *will* find out, if a claim is made.

Reply to
dom

Thanks for the practical guidance

D.