Installing Fridge Freezer

Hi, wanting to install a new Fridge, it requires a connection to a water source, using a inlet pipe like a washing machine. Problem is, the distance is three to three 1/2 metres from the fridge to the installed tap.

I dont seem to be able to find any inlet pipe over 2mtrs in length. I am not competent enough to install anything else... Any advice on where to buy a long inlet pipe?

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:39:05 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Gaz" strung together this:

Stick 2 together, you can get couplers to fit in the middle, or a 22mm compression coupler without the nuts will do.

Reply to
Lurch

Our LG fridge freezer came with a 3/3.5 metre pipe ready supplied, this connected directly to the installed tap which my husband moved close to the fridge as I told him it came with a one metre pipe!

Might be worth checking what is supplied with the fridge or asking the manufacturer.

Reply to
rition

I bought a stupidly long, (i.e. several metres - maybe even as much as

5) washing machine hose from B+Q Depot in Sutton last year. I assume that they still sell them. I also bought a coupler to extend the existing hose becasue, IIRC, the extension had straight ends and I was concerned that I might need the right angle connector on the original short hose. In the end I used neither part and extended the fixed piping nearer to the washing machine.

HTH Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Reply to
Richard Sterry

On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:39:08 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Richard Sterry" strung together this:

Endless supply of ice and chilled filtered water.

Reply to
Lurch

Reply to
Andy Hall

I would watch out when it comes to filtered water. The filter can end up as a breeding ground for bacteria.

We had a water cooler fitted at work. It takes tap water and then passes it through two cartridge filters - one for contaminants like heavy metals and chemicals. The other filter removes bacteria.

The water is then stored in an internal container that contains a constant UV light source to stop bacteria from breeding.

If the UV light source in the unit fails or the cartridges are used for too long without the maintenence company changing the cartridges then the system will shut down and cannot be used.

It seems that some people fit filter cartridges at home and never bother to change them.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

"Graham Wilson" wrote | I would watch out when it comes to filtered water. The filter can | end up as a breeding ground for bacteria.

I was also wondering whether washing-machine hoses were certified as suitable for potable water ...

I once worked in a business based in a porta-cabin in the carpark of a factory and our water came through a hosepipe from the outside tap ... the coffee tasted very rubbery no matter for how long the tap in the porta-cabin was run.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Gracious, I never knew there were such things! Sounds very American.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Very American but it is wonderful in this very warm weather

Reply to
rition

On Wed, 19 May 2004 00:34:43 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Owain" strung together this:

I dont think a hose pipe is meant to be used, but appliance hoses are fine AFAIK. You see them on many coffee machines and the like as well.

Reply to
Lurch

"Lurch" wrote | "Owain" strung together this: | >I once worked in a business based in a porta-cabin in the carpark of a | >factory and our water came through a hosepipe from the outside tap ... | >the coffee tasted very rubbery no matter for how long the tap in the | >porta-cabin was run. | I dont think a hose pipe is meant to be used, but appliance hoses are | fine AFAIK. You see them on many coffee machines and the like as well.

I've seen coffee machines with hoses that look a bit like 'building site cable', translucent poly(ethy)lene with braid in. I'd thought they were 'food grade' plastic but blue and red washing machine hoses weren't.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My car has air-conditioning, I work in air-conditioned labs, my house is cool, and cold water comes out of the taps. So, I personally have no need of ice machines or water chillers!

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry