Installing cat flap in glass door panel

I've been asked to install a catflap in a door that has the typical 2 glass panel arrangement. Think they are called 2XG or similar.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to cut the glass in situ to install the device, square hole or round?

My gut feeling is that the easiest option is to either replace the existing glass with a bit of 4mm ply that I can easily cut or to order a new piece of glass with the hole pre-cut (expensive?)

Thanks for advice. Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

Your local glass merchant will be able to cut a round hole - for an idea of cost we got a full length double glazed toughened unit replaced on our patio door (about 50cm * 200cm) with a catflap fitted (supplied by us) - inc measuring up, fabrication and fitting cost £95 including VAT (Edinburgh area)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

2XGG - 2XG has glass at the top, ply or similar panel below

A glazier can cut a hole in-situ but if the glass has been replaced in recent times it should be toughened so can't be cut: you have to get a new piece cut then get it toughened

Reply to
Tony Bryer

snip

Since it's in a door, the glass should be toughened/tempered so you won't be able to cut it without shattering it anyway.

A new piece of toughened galss with the hole pre cut is probably best, ply ususally looks a bit lame really ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

First take a look at the round cat-flaps that are available - only a choice of one when I looked. I tried the round one and it was crap, so finished up changing my mind about the glass panel and went for a plastic panel with a rectangular hole in it.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison