Installing air-conditioning?

Hi,

Im thinking of having a air-conditioning system put in my house. I want to be able to understand how the systems work etc and how they are installed, especialy the ducted systems. Ive drawn a blank realy, most of the site either dont have enough info or are for commercial properties. Finding anything on the ducted system has prooved fruitless

Anyone have any pointers to some web pages,info etc.

Many thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim S

I bought DeLongi system and installed it myself. Works a treat.

Reply to
PJ

cue IMM..........................

Reply to
Jerry.

I installed a split unit a few months back - very staright-forward diy install. But I'm not sure what you mean by ducted systems - do you mean one central unit with ducts to each room, or do you mean one unit with an exhaust duct?

Reply to
Grunff

snooker or billiard ??

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I thought of a split type, but was worried about the size of the units inside, also, if they would be able to give a even heat/cool for the whole house. We have no heating whatsoever in the house so i wanted to use as a heating system as well.

I thought the ducted system would be better to distribute the heat/cool air.(One unit in loft ducted through the house).

My house is a 2 bedroom 1975 semi, if that helps.

Jim

Reply to
Jim S

Our inside unit is ~80cmx30cmx20cm.

With this type of unit you'd nee done for each room, so probably not what you're looking for.

This unit is also a heat pump, and works very well that way.

That makes sense - don't know enough about the subject to recommend any, sorry.

Reply to
Grunff

I bought a 'portable' split system a few years back and actually got round to installing it through the wall in the middle (spare) bedroom in our 1897 e.o.t. (solid brck wall 'cottage') at the end of the summer (doh!) last year.

I did some experiments re it's capability by starting with it isolated in the middle bedroom then screening off the landing with polythene sheet to include the second then third (box) bedrooms.

It took a while to bring the temp down to one where you felt 'cool' but at that point you didn't want to go back downstairs into the heat again!

The unit stands about 750cm tall by 40cm W and 50cm deep and it's quiet enough in the other bedrooms to not be a nusiance.

I also considered doing some ducting up through the loft and down into the two (used) bedrooms to make it more efficient but haven't done so yet.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

More like b*ll*x !

Reply to
Jerry.

on 04/04/2004, Jim S supposed :

No one else seems to know, so I'll try and pass on what little I know...

The commercial stuff will be the same principle, just a larger scale.

There will be two parts, the indoor part which draws air in from the house and cools it down, before feeding it back via the various ducts to the room. Each room will have an air flow control to restrict the flow and balance it.

Outside will be the second part, which has the radiator to dispose of the heat with a cooling fan. The tow parts will be linked with flow and return refridgerant pipework, plus the electrics. The compressor will propably be in the outdoor unit.

If you are thinking of DIY, I would suggest you could with a bit of thought and practise install the ductwork and the grills..... Tins nips, pop rivets and duct tape.

Hope that helps a little?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Were you planning to insert the sharp end, or whack him over the head with the fat end?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Take a look at

might find some useful information.

Reply to
Gin Smith

I took a quick look, and noted one feature that gets mentioned often for AC units, which is "Cold Air Prevention". I mean, who would want cold air coming from an AC unit? ;-)

OK, OK, I'm sure it's got some very specific meaning, but it just tickled me.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Very sensible. Makes for a much, much more pleasant living environment during the horrid period [June to September].

I've lived with proper installed A/C for some years now and it doesn't half make a difference. Didn't DIY it though.

Reply to
Simon Gardner