Installing a Sky dish - DIY or not ?

In article , Adrian writes

Really wouldn't bother.. just pour a couple 'o pints of the black stuff and your done.

Practise at home with the existing one afor ye go...

Reply to
tony sayer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

Oh, it's you :) I recognise you now from ieg.

You may as well leave the old dish behind if it's a 60cm one - they're buggerall use here. 80cm is the minimum and 1m is better, especially in Cork. Buy a new dish and LNB in England and bring it over with you - much cheaper that way.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

'Course it's not illegal; Sky Ireland exists to service the Irish market.

Yes; keep your English-registered Sky box and card at all costs. You'd go bananas if you had to depend purely on RTE, etc. Having said that, all the Beebs are free now and the ITVs will be sometime soon, but at the moment you need a UK box and card to get them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Why is it harder, as a matter of interest? I thought the satellite was over the Canaries, so Spain should be much closer than the UK or Ireland.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

TBH I'm not that bothered...... but you know how it is

I think I may spend more time looking out of the window at the view down to the sea, maybe with a small glass of the brown stuff.....

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

OK - don't understand 'wait' though.... can't I source one over here & take it with me ? No point in having someting that doesn't work - so I'll ditch the 60cm dish idea...

I know the exist - been there - v-impressive !

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Oh gosh - my reputation's following me around

OK - so a 1m dish it is then..... Apart from it being bigger (this boy's quick!) - any other differences I should be aware of. I guess it mounts much the same...?

So I'll leave the old (like 1 month old !) dish behind. Any 'favourite' online suppliers for a 1m quad dish and a reel of cable ?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Keep up, all ITV offerings are FTA now. Of the mainstream broadcasters only Channel 4 and five are left FTV.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Because the footprint of the transponders used doesn't cover Spain. The footprint is pretty tightly controlled, I think mainly due to copyright reasons.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

To get BBC/ITV on Freesat rather than RTE?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Especially as you mentioned getting the TV working was a priority according to The Management. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Worth a try, most people don't even realise that you can self install satellite systems and are willing pay =A3150+ to Murdoch for a semi trai= ned monkey to do it. I expect a significant number don't even realise that i= f you have buy a house with a dish you can just connect a box at the other= end and it'll work. I bet that lot pay $ky for a man to come out to do that as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can see that you've been there too !

Anything for a quiet life.........

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

That's true, but the antennas are organised to provide the best signal strength over the primary coverage area.

This is a different issue to the satellite's position in space.

Take a look at the Lyngsat web site and you will find all kinds of patterns

Reply to
Andy Hall

A poor second choice though when you consider the Liffey Water and fresh caught produce from Bantry Bay

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes you can. MY main point was to suggest not buying a minidish here and being disappointed because it'\s inadequate

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah - gotcha ! Sorry to be dim - understand now - thanks !

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

I bought my last 1m dish from

but best of luck in finding one with their utterly s**te search system. The paper catalogue is much better. Sat cable is cheap enough to buy here if you go to an electrical wholesaler.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

There are two sizes of $ky minidish, referred to as 'Zone 1' and 'Zone

2'. A Zone 1 dish measures about 53 x 38 cm (W x H) and is OK for most of England and for Wales. The larger Zone 2 dish, which measures about 72 x 58 cm, is required for Ireland and Scotland.

Also for Southern and Western Ireland the LNB polarisation offset adjustment should be set in position 2.

Reply to
Andy Wade

OK - so I don't need anything bigger....? (was looking at CPC catalogue last night & that seemed to show dishes up to 1 metre)

Oh - didn't know there was such a thing....... some sort of mechanical alignment, is it ??

Can you recommend an on-line source for a suitable dish plus quad lnb plus some cable ?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian