Installing a New direct Combination Hot Water Cylinder

I have Just purchased a "Combination Direct Hot Water Cylinder " ( Not Combi Boiler !) ...

I am not a plumber but think I can manage to connect a few pipes myself... !

However I am baffled what all the 22mm holes are for and to which one Is the actual Draw off one , Can any one tell me ?

On the one side top & bottom of the cylinder ,it has 2 x 22mm holes adjacent, On other side side top 22mm hole and bottom 15mm hole (Drain off point )

Which of the other 3 option 22mm holes is the draw off point?? and what are the other 2 for anyway ??

Also no hole for Ball valve in header tank Section of this Combi Cylinder How far from the top should one drill the hole for the Ball valve Fitting ?

Any help Appreciated

Thanks

Reply to
Midboy

Can you supply make and model?

This suggests that it has a coil for connecting to a CH system. Try pouring some water into the top one through a tube and see if it comes out of the bottom one without going into the cylinder.

The top one should be the draw off. Put water into that and see if it comes out of the 15mm one at the bottom. The smaller one should be the drain as you say.

That's surprising. Typically about 75mm down from the top, possibly slightly less. Don't forget the overflow.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks Andy I Don`t think it has a coil circuit (IE going into a inner pipe) its just vacant open space into the tank space ,as with all the holes ....Just two 22mm Ports Standard on oneside Top and bottom..(I assume I have to blank them off ,maybe manufactered to a standard pattern but without the coil with the Direct, and perhaps with,coil in the case of the indirect ..) One hole on opposite side Top 22MM (maybe this is the draw off point ?) and ....Bottom 15mm obviously for Drain off Plug/tap See this link for drawing copy and paste >>>

it an Albion direct combination hot water cylinder with integral header tank the expansion pipe is built in and feed into tank .....but no hole for ball valve or overflow , I think you have to cut them yourself to suit positioning I guess ? Thanks

Midboy Keith @ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Midboy

There's a better picture at

direct cylinder usually means one designed to go with a hot water only type of boiler like a wood stove, coal back boiler that doesn't do heating or similar. The two 22mm taps would be to connect it to said boiler and have the water circulate by convection (aka gravity) through the boiler.

An indirect cylinder has a coil inside between the same two tappings.

You're right. You can blank them off. The HW take off is the one at the top on the left.

It rather looks that way....

I suppose it has the advantage that you can put them where you like.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks Andy for the Link and your Info , I am now satified that it is the Top Left 22mm hole is the draw off point as you say ! Cheers, Much Appreciated ... Keith

Reply to
Midboy