Installing a Freestanding Gas Cooker

Hi Guys,
Anyone had a gas cooker installed recently? I want the old one disconnected and the new one connected up and commissioned. Current quotes are around 95 + VAT which TBQH I think's excessive.
Cheers,
Leigh

cap-off; then 3 weeks later 45 to fit the new (including parts, VAT etc); a very nice clean tidy job. 95 for doing both at the same time is a rip!

I'll say! This is a diy ng ...
Mary

And with a quote of 95 for a simple enough job, I'd also be thinking about doing it myself.

I appreciate that, however it is gas, and not sure if I could live with the consequences should anything happen. The connection itself doesn't worry me, it's the commissioning of the hob and oven that I believe is more than a 'now it's on, now it's off' test.
Phoned 'em up and moaned about the 95 + vat. Got 'em down to 65 + vat at the mo.
Leigh

A drop of 30 on the price sounds a lot better. And they said haggling wasn't worth the hassle. :-))

Oh well done!
I did that with my car insurance. They sent another quote, for 3 more than last year, instead of the first, which was double.
Then they sent another for about 50 more than last year's.
Guess which I paid - but it makes one wonder how they get the figures.
Mary

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:49:15 +0000, OldGit wrote:

Even at London prices 95 is a bit steep. However if the deal includes taking away the old one and disposing of it (legally) then it's probably fair.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk