Install Storage Heater

Hi

I have just ordered a storage heater which I would like to install.

In my room I have a double plug. Is it easy to connect the storage heater to the normal plug and do I need to get a fused wiring adapter for it?

Thanks Dave

Reply to
Da Buit

Hi

I have just ordered a storage heater which I would like to install.

In my room I have a double plug. Is it easy to connect the storage heater to the normal plug and do I need to get a fused wiring adapter for it?

Thanks

Reply to
Da Buit

Did you change your name?

Reply to
Richard Conway

It is very unsatisfactory to connect a storage heater to an ordinary ring socket circuit, which are not intended for continuous heavy heating loads.

Storage heaters should really be fitted to individual 15A radial circuits wired back to a dedicated, time-controlled, consumer unit. As storage heaters all come on at the same time, no diversity should be assumed.

The storage heater will probably not come with any flex and you will need to buy appropriate *heat resistant* flex. You will also need to make satisfactory arrangements for time controlling the heater to operate only during the economy 7 period.

Perhaps if you give more information of what and why you are trying to achieve, further suggestions can be made.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What is the power rating of the heater? That will give a clue as to what type of connection is required. They're normally hard-wired, on a dedicated circuit (see below).

You surely don't want to plug it into a normal 13A socket? The whole idea of storage heaters is that they charge up over night on cheap(er) *off peak* electricity - for which you need a separate meter and timer. If you're going to run it on the most expensive electricity, you'd be better off with a normal convector or fan heater. At least you would then have some control over when the house gets heated.

Reply to
Set Square

Not necessarily so. I think my old house's meter switched over everything at night. So it was worth running the washing m/c overnight too.

rusty

Reply to
Rusty

Generally all electricity used during the off peak period is charged at the lower rate. Power used outside the off peak period is charged at a rate higher than the normal domestic one.

You don't want a 3kW storage heater routinely taking power outside the off peak period. For this reason they are normally installed via a switched CU that is only live during the cheap time.

You could use a separate time switch but you need to keep the time switch that tells the meter when it's cheap rate and the one that switches on the heater in sync, It could get very expensive very quickly if they are out of sync, >25p/hour for a 3kW heater at peak rate against 10p/hr at cheap rate. A difference of about a =A31/day (=A390/qtr) with a 7hr on period set to peak instead of off-peak.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A storage heater needs a dedicated circuit wired to a time switched consumer unit and an Economy 7 meter. If you don't have Economy 7 and don't want it, cancel your heater order and buy something suitable for portable use, such as a convector heater (which is much quieter and more civilised than a fan heater).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle