Insect detector?

Hi

Following my earlier post on woodlice in my living room, is there such a thing that could detect their movement and record their point of entry starting by positioning it at doors and windows etc. Possibly a sensitive cctv arrangement dedicated to this cause, or have I just made that up. I am extremley keen to resolve this!

Thanks again

Alec

Reply to
alec green

In message , alec green writes

Get a spiny anteater

Reply to
geoff

Put some talcum powder at likely spots?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Motion detector, laser beam, kind of thing? Sure. Just wait a while.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

There are cheapo recorded CCTV systems that have motion detection to initiate recording. Buddy of mine has a four channel one at his shop, and one of the cameras points down the shop towards the front window. If someone walks past, it starts that channel recording. The actual image of the person is small compared to the rest of the picture, which is mainly the inside of the shop, and it picks that up ok, so I guess if you had a camera zoomed in on a small area that you wanted to check, a woodlouse wandering across the field should be enough to get it going ?

Something like this, maybe ?

to say without trying it, I guess

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I was going to say, that it sounds like you need some form of predator as we used to get for greenhouse infections of pests.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Woodlice are crustacea they cannot survive without moisture. Look for damp areas with rotten plant material. Window/door cills/frames outside or piles if stuff near woodlice sized entrances. They don't generally travel further than a few feet into dry areas.

But TBH they don't spread disease or cause any damage(*) so why worry about 'em?

(*) They feed on decaying plant material but as they don't have strong mouth parts it has to be pretty far gone for them to eat it. ie any damage has already been by the rot first rather than the woodlice who are just tidying up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Motion detectors mostly work on infra red and a insect are not warm.

Reply to
Gary

PIR ones do but not ones based on CCTV cameras...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

>>> Hard to say without trying it, I guess

I thought modern CCTV ones worked by frame comparison ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You could try this if a suitable camera is available to you. A basic webcam could be all you need.

Richard

but CCTV motion detectors work on movement not temperature i.e. changes from one frame to another

"get a life" would also be another suggestion

Reply to
geoff