Initial settings for Lidl PIR spotlight

I got a few Lidl PIR spotlights to replace some broken ones. They will be placed high up and someone with long ladders will help fit them. This means we have to guess the adjustment settings and may not be able to tweak them.

Can anyone who has used this PIR spotlight suggest reasonable dial positions for the sensor sensitivity and ambient light sensitivity?

----

Lidl "Livarno Lux" 30W LED spotlight

user manual:

pamela

jim presented the following explanation :

The PIR 'beam' tend to be a flat fan shape, which work best with a person walking into or across the 'beam'. rather than briefly through it. So the work best when mounted a little above head height pointing slightly down to pick up a subject.

The lights work best mounted high, so sometimes it is better to have the PIR mounted remote from the light.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If placed high up angle them almost vertically down or you will be illuminating the clouds and annoying the neighbours

You may find that what you are attempting to illuminate works better if the lights are mounted lower.

Reply to
alan_m

...Also when up the ladder cover the PIR (to block the light) with a black bag to test it, save you climbing up and down.

Reply to
ss

You could be right about the height. One current PIR is below the gutter which would be about 5 metres. The idea was just to swap out the old unit for a new one but maybe it should be lowered a metre of two.

Reply to
pamela

Hmmm. Good idea. I can see you've done this before. :-)

Reply to
pamela

Whatever they choose to call it, it's not a spotlight, it's a floodlight.

The beam is wide, and bright.

Most people aim them incorrectly, with the top of the beam pointing at the sky, and when they do point them downwards they don't lower it nearly enough, so potential witnesses to evil goings on at your property are themselves blinded by the incident light, and the full beam shines through your neighbors downstairs windows, if not the upstairs ones as well.

Unlike halogen flood lamps, the reflector plays no part in beam forming. The edges of the beam are defined only by the housing (think of the "barn doors" on theatrical lighting).

In daylight, even with the lamp off, if you stand at a distance and you can see the LED die, the "bulb", then you are in the beam.

Unfortunately, lamps like these suffer from a design "feature" that prevents you from aiming it correctly, because the PIR is mounted on the lamp itself, so it has to dip with the lamp, and you find that the PIR now has insufficient detection range.

Reply to
Graham.

Yes, I'm hoping it is a floodlight and "spotlight" is just a misused phrase. I don't want a true spotlight at all.

I'm not sure I understand that. In this case, in the middle of the reflector there is a thing (about an inch square) which I take to be the LED assembly and it seems to be pointing *backwards* into the reflector.

The angles of the reflector are very shallow when compared to a halogen lamp but surely it is still acting like a true reflector.

Reply to
pamela

I think you will find, when you switch it on, that the LED die is pointing the light outwards, and the "reflector" serves no optical purpose, it's a heat sink to keep the die cool, and makes the product look like a traditional security lamp.

Reply to
Graham.

En el artículo , pamela escribió:

Just set them both to half-way. You'll almost certainly find that suits.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , ss escribió:

Most of them (I won't say all as someone'll only prove me wrong) come on in 'stay on' mode if you briefly switch them off and back on.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Spot on! How many electricians and homeowners fail to appreciate this - and aim the centre of the beam to the extreme of their property leaving 50% of the light to be wasted or causing an annoyance. About 80% are wrongly installed. It makes me angry!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Some sensors take a while to respond.to prevent to light from the floodlight from turning them back off.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I hope so but I have had some PIR lights where the range of settings were so hopeless that the dials had to be turned to one extreme and, even then, weren't right.

I'm hoping these Lidl lights aren't like that but it's too late to find out once they're fixed high up.

Reply to
pamela

DerbyBorn presented the following explanation :

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Most of the floodlights with PIRs that I've fitted also immediately illuminate when power is first applied and stay on for the timer period so it's impossible to set the light sensitivity during this short period.

Reply to
alan_m

Put some flex and a plug on one so that you can find suitable settings yourself.

Reply to
John #9

The 2 PIRs from TS and the 1 from Aldi have the light to Min. and still operate when it's about light enough to read outside. I'd prefer the level to be lower, as the flood can cause shadows where there would otherwise be enough light. I use R63 lamps, 120 deg., pointing straight down. Although there is visible light from 30m away, it's not at all dazzling.

Reply to
PeterC

In message , pamela writes

I had one of these. It lasted 6 months. The PIR sensor filled up with rain water. No obvious ingress point.

The only one I adjusted to any great extent was the "on" time.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

Brian Howie explained on 02/10/2016 :

When fitting any lights outside, or similar, I make a point of ensuring moisture cannot get in, but also make sure they have a drain hole at the base.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield