Ingenious

links-using-sound/

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Jethro_uk scribbled

It wouldn't only be other computers that Goggle would be listen to.

Reply to
Jonno

What could possibly go wrong?

In a conference you could arrange a Beowulf cluster of Goatse[1] I for one salute our new chirping computer overlords...

[1] NO do not google this...
Reply to
Tim Watts

No need. Seen it already.

Alongside 2 girls, 1 cup. [1]

[1] Don't google this, either.
Reply to
Huge

They might be bleaurgh, but 1 man 1 jar [1] is seriously *OUCH*

[1] don't google that either
Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a suspicion it's not so much about what goes into the jar as what the jar goes into!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, we've all seen the X-rays to know some people enjoy that sort of thing ... vg'f gur ubeevoyr abvfr jura vg fznfurf naq ur'f gelvat gb fpencr ovgf bs tynff naq oybbq bhg bs uvf nefr!

Reply to
Andy Burns

No need. I've seen that one, too.

I've been a *long*time subscriber to alt.tasteless. Mind you, these days it's a shadow of its former self.

Reply to
Huge

I wish I was not tempted by the ROT13...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's almost a dare to read it :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Go on, you know you have to...

Reply to
Tim Watts

En el artículo , Jethro_uk escribió:

It's not only links they can swap...

"the so-called badBIOS malware is capable of communicating with other infected machines even when Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, and all other radio or networking devices are disabled or physically removed. The secret, he claims, is high-frequency audio generated from an infected computer's speakers and picked up by another's microphone."

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It appears google found that very unreliable - since computer audio is focussed around (a subset of) audible frequencies. I'd be amazed if anything above 5KHz could be used. And even I could hear that.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yeh right. Like the average computer speaker is going to have a decent HF response. And HF audio won't go through walls or very far anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Jethro_uk escribió:

I doesn't sound beyond the realms of possibility to me, though the initial reports set off my bullshit detector.

I seem to have a memory that a university research team proved the idea was viable, let's have a google...

ah, here we go:

high-frequency-sound/

"Using the microphones and speakers that come standard in many of today's laptop computers and mobile devices, hackers can secretly transmit and receive data using high-frequency audio signals that are mostly inaudible to human ears, a new study shows.

Michael Hanspach and Michael Goetz, researchers at Germany's Fraunhofer Institute for Communication, Information Processing, and Ergonomics, recently performed a proof-of-concept experiment that showed that "covert acoustical networking," a technique which had been hypothesized but considered improbable by most experts, is indeed possible.

Their findings, detailed in a recent issue of the Journal of Communications, could have major implications for electronic security.

"If you have a high demand for information security and assurance, you would need to prepare countermeasures," Hanspach wrote in an email to Inside Science.

In particular, it means "air-gapped" computers - that is, computers that are not connected to the Internet - are vulnerable to malicious software designed to steal or corrupt data."

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'm sure you could demonstrate it in a lab. In real life conditions, I doubt it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are the speakers and microphones really any good at high frequencies in eve n the best laptops, phones and desktopsI doubt it.

I thought the audio circuits filtered out all these useless fequencies.

you could flash the screens in morse code too ;-)

Like what I wonder.

sticka pens though the speakers and mics that should stop it.

I thought they were already just not hackable via the internet doesn't mean they are safe.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The pass-band up to 96kHz is used to great effect by SDR these days.

(Software Defined Radio)

Reply to
gareth

They are only vulnerable to having someone install some software that uses the sound system, you can't attack a computer using sound if nothing is listening.

Reply to
dennis

That requires additional hardware which you'd have to connect to your PC.

Reply to
whisky-dave