Infrared patio heater

Has anyone experience of the infrared patio heaters that look like a wall mounted floodlight - similar to

.

What kind of area to heat? Do they work well? Feel nice and warm? Any recommendations for brands/suppliers? Can they be mounted onto weatherboard (below guttering) or do I need to mount on brick (probably, fire etc?)

Thanks Nigel (email will bounce sorry)

Reply to
jonesn

I don't have any experience of them, but can't help feeling that 1.3 kW for

9 M^2 is a bit optimistic! Maybe there's some hidden significance in the illustration looking like a Legal Aid logo?
Reply to
Set Square

used them indoors. Bit irrespoonsible to use them outdoors.

how long is a piece of string, depends how hot you want it how quick.

they get red hot. not sure what else there is!

give ya 2 guesses.

Note the heat is very unevenly spread, sit near and you burn, sit too far youre cold.

none, dont buy em

yes, if you want to make fancy artistic shapes out of your gutter.

no

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Unlike you I failed to do the sums - or indeed even to apply any rational thought - before I bought one. It was crap and was taken straight back. As you say 1.3kW is no much use for anything. Also they give out quite a lot of visible light which is not neccesarily what you want. Avoid.

Reply to
Calvin

I have stood underneath one outside a restaurant.

Not a very big one.

A sort-of feeling of warmth, but nothing like the intensity of a 1 bar electric fire at body level.

I suppose they work better in a very sheltered patio or even a conservatory, where there's no wind. Calton Hill in Edinburgh always has wind.

Pass.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Global Wharming ?

Reply to
Rick

They glow red. Which means short-wave IR, which means heating the outside air. Which is bad. Or _Bad_, if you care about energy conservation.

What you want for workshop and outdoor use are the _long_ IR heater, which are white ceramic and don't glow. These still radiate warmth, but they don't glow visibly. They also spend less energy heating the passing air and more of it on heating you, They cost a little (a little) more to buy, but less to run.

No, they stop you feeling cold. If you want warm, wear some clothes or go inside.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

unfortunately IR heating doesnt, when used in the open. It lessens the bite of the cold by heating you patchily and unevenly on one side, and not at all on the other. It never abolishes cold, but its better than nothing.

Using them on patios is just an excuse to sell red halogen bulbs at wally prices.

NT

Reply to
bigcat