Info needed on Startrite 352 bandsaw

I've recently acquired a Startrite 352 bandsaw but without a manual; it all looks simple enough, is there anything I need to know?

There's a drilled circular pillar (with a winged bolt) on the back of the rip fence - what's it for? There's another circular pillar on the bottom of the upper guard - what's it for?

TIA Dave S

Reply to
Dave

I would suggest trying really hard to obtain one. Bandsaws are relatively similar in design, but getting things like the tension correct and the guides adjusted correctly are critical to safe and/or accurate operation

Mountings for other guards or fences?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I bought one new about 25 years ago and there was no manual. Don't think there is much to know. Excellent reliable machine - only 2 bearings needed in all that time (and lotsa blades and 2 belts). Still going strong with original motor. The 'pillar' at the end of the fence is to locate an end stop, which you probably don't have - I never use mine so you are probably not missing much. Could be useful for tenons I suppose. I always reserve a new blade for tenons only until it is bluntish - and then general purpose. Tension is by a window on the back - I always adjust to 'medium' but the less the better for blade life as long as it doesn't slip. Don't know about the other 'pillar' perhaps a later modification - have you a photo? Don't buy blades from Axminster - they always send me ones with substandard welds. Get them from your local saw doctor. Standard blade is 3tpi skip tooth hard edge 3/4 inch but Startrite have a big range and excellent spares service..

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

You can get a couple of wee books from amazon that are really good for the

*theory* of bandsaws, if you willl....but the name escapes me. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Think they also have them in the back of most woodworking mags.

As for saftey...the bandsaw is the safest machine in the workshop...so don't worry too much about that. Bit o common sense and u'll be fine. Some advice on setting up to optimum performance might be good tho. Also advice on where to get good blades....this can make a huge difference.

Could the thing on the back of the rip fence be for screwing on the mitre angle? Just a thought.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

In article , snipped-for-privacy@jpbutler.demon.co.uk says... snip.

snip

I would have to disagree on this point of tension. If he leaves it too slack he runs the risk of a bow in the cut and increased wander.

I have a tension meter

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Interesting. How do they work, Paul?