Infected you tube link via facebook message

I've just spent a couple of hours scanning and cleaning my system after a known contact message came in on facebook with a link to an allegedly humourous you tube page. The virus alert went off but it seems to have already harvested my contacts and sent the thing on to them. If any of you get a similar message dont open it. There were multiple threats - three trojan files which showed up early in the system clean and a worm which only showed near the end of the full scan.

Reply to
cynic

Was it actually a youtube link or somewhere else?

Reply to
Clive George

I received one of these recently from a friend, who had no idea he'd sent it, but lots of his friends received it. Fortunately, I don't run Windows* so it didn't manage to deploy its payload.

  • well, I do sometimes, but it's not allowed out onto the Internet.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

probably something else in fact but I'm not minded to go back there again to check

Reply to
cynic

What security software do you use? It sounds as though it need changing, updating or supplementing.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

In message , cynic writes

Koobface?

Reply to
Clint Sharp

My wife's computer running XP Pro went down a couple of weeks ago from trojans and finally would not boot. I was about to do a system restore and lose all the data, including PAYE records, when I read about Knoppix. This is a complete Linux system bootable, on a CD, and what's more completely free. I was able to read and save the data on hard disk to a UBS memory stick, all 'documents and data' and 'program files'. A real lifesaver. HTH.

Cheers, Alan.

Reply to
Alan Murphy

Just what you want to know.. possibly losing all that personal PAYE data to whomever was running the trojans. Why do people insist on putting personal data on machines connected to the internet, probably without a proper firewall and possibly without proper AV software? I bet the data wasn't encrypted either.

Reply to
dennis

But no substitute for having effective, and up to date anti-virus and anti-Trojan software in the first place.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

In message , Peter Crosland writes

And no substitute for making regular backups, it's trivial to do these days. Plus the infected machine was likely to also have been a source of cyber attacks on other machines and networks so it's very anti social to allow a machine to get into that state.

Reply to
Clint Sharp