Inexpensive way to prime plasterboard and plaster, prior to wallpapering?

What can be used to cheaply but effectively prime plasterboard and bare plaster prior to wallpapering?

Thank you,

Mike D

Reply to
Mike D

I usually "size" walls with thin wallpaper paste, but no doubt this might be wrong in about 101 different ways. Hasn't ever given me any problems, mind. Cheap, and dead easy to apply with a gurt big paste brush. If it looks to have dried in too quickly, I go over it again.

-- "Cause of crash: Inadvertent contact with the ground."

Reply to
John Laird

================================== It's the recommended method. You'll find instructions for the correct mix on the back of most paste packets.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thanks for the tip. I wondered if it might be that simple and cheap to do... Sounds better than shelling out £££ for some hi-faluted primer of some kind.

Mike

Reply to
Mike D

Size the walls first with, well size (yes I got mine in B&Q). Some people use very dilute normal wallpaper paste.

Stops the plasterboard sucking all moisture out of the paste enabling you to manouvre and slide the pasted paper a little and generally gives a longer working time. Pretty obvious when papering that you have missed a bit with size as the paper tends to stick, in the wrong position instantly.

Reply to
Ian_m