Inexpensive reliable circular saw

or look here:

John Rumm

John Rumm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Cool, but wouldn't it be easier simply to clamp on a length of 2x1 and use that as a fence?

(Bought the circular saw now ... 160mm Worx affair)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

No, you should try it and see.

Reply to
dennis

Not really - there are several advantages of the saw board. First, because it is made with the saw in question, its edge marks exactly where the cut will be - so no need to adjust for the blade offset. Secondly the board itself reduces damage to the top surface - reducing splintering etc. Third it also stops the saw sole plate scratching the work. The result is much quicker and easier in use than any other type of batten.

Reply to
John Rumm

Easier for a one-off, yes. But once you've got a sawboard (or two - I find the 8' one rather unwieldy for smaller bits) you'll be glad you made one. For smaller bits there's the radial arm saw...

Reply to
Skipweasel
?

John Rumm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

that as a fence?

No, because you would need to clamp the 2 x 1 so that the left hand edge of the soleplate runs against it - to give maximum support to the saw. That means you would have to alter the depth adjustment so the motor clears the 2 x 1 - thus loosing depth of cut.

The batten on the sawboard only need to be around 6mm high & most saw motors will clear that anyway.

Most useful is that you only need to line the edge of the sawboard up with the cut line - because the board was cut with the saw in use, it will line up perfectly and you don't have to measure the offset between the edge of the sole plate & the blade.

(Bought the circular saw now ... 160mm Worx affair)

How much was it AAMOI?

Dave TMH

Reply to
Davidlang

"Davidlang" wrote in news:_whWo.12261$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.ams:

Thanks to *everyone* who's pointed out the usefulness of a Saw Board, knocked one together this morning and gave it a whorl - and I'm now a convert.

Just under £40

Reply to
Chris Wilson

You'll be fine until you need a slightly longer one to, say, trim the long edge of a door. But then you can clamp any straightedge to the door (I find 6" contiboard useful as it gives room for the upside down G clamps) and, to avoid measuring, you only need a scrap of ply the same width as your sawboard to gauge the distance between the cut and the guide. I keep one with the saw at all times and, remarkably, I haven't lost it yet.

Reply to
stuart noble

You'll be fine until you need a slightly longer one to, say, trim the long edge of a door. But then you can clamp any straightedge to the door (I find 6" contiboard useful as it gives room for the upside down G clamps) and, to avoid measuring, you only need a scrap of ply the same width as your sawboard to gauge the distance between the cut and the guide. I keep one with the saw at all times and, remarkably, I haven't lost it yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- When trimming the long edge of a door I use the rip guide provided with the saw.

-- Dave - The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman

Power Devil don't supply those :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Besides which, that's only any good if you need to take a parallel slice off. More often than not, the bit cut off needs to be tapered.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ah, I see. TMH meant the metal guide you attach to the saw. I've never used those on any of the saws I've had. I just don't like the idea of the guide following the offcut, especially when you're only removing a sliver. As you say, the cuts are nearly always tapered anyway.

Reply to
stuart noble