Industrial Strength Velcro

Some years ago I bought something (I think it was a Creative Labs speaker system) that came with what I can only describe as industrial strength Velcro[1]. I think it was made by 3M and provided quite incredible sticking power.

The construction is a little difficult to describe but it was made of plastic and had a grid of stems each with a little ball on top. I guess there were probably about twelve to an inch. When mated with the other half the balls on one piece pushed through the balls on the other to sit between the stems. Both sides were the same, there being no concept of ?male? and ?female? halves.

I have never seen this stuff anywhere else but would like some more for a project. Has anyone come across it and can recommend a supplier.

Thanks,

Andrew

[1] despite insistence by my spelling checker a deliberate use of lower case v since this stuff is not made by Velcro.
Reply to
Andrew May

Andrew May said the following on 18/06/2007 11:51:

Google for "3M dual lock"

Reply to
Rumble

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realise it came in so many different varieties.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

ISTR that the preferred form for the generic is "hook and loop fastener" which is, of course, mechanically different to the stuff you're referring to...

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

Which is why I didn't use it because I knew that what I was looking for had neither a hook nor a loop :-)

Reply to
Andrew May

The small-scale version is known to carpet fitters as "mushroom tape".

Reply to
Ian White

Isn't that something a bit different? What you are referring to seems to still be a variation of hook and loop inasmuch that the 'loop' is on the carpet. What I was after was identical on both sides and fitted together.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Sorry, my mistake. I do understand what you mean, and had somehow go the wrong impression that mushroom tape could latch onto itself. But you're right - it can't.

Reply to
Ian White