Induction hobs - can you afford one?

Errr, you are misinterpreting what I said.

I said they have half the SYSTEM efficiency of a gas hob. See here, section 6.3.2:

Shokka

7 to 8 times. See here:

Efficient as heat is gnerated in pan, very rapid response to changes in control

In-efficient as you have to generate the electricity in the first place! The overall system efficieny is roughly half that of a gas hob that burns the gas directly.

How can it be efficient if it uses DOUBLE the earth's resources??!

Shokka

Save your accurate, but largely irrelevant, rant for halogen hobs and Maggie Thatcher's gas-fired generating plant.

Reply to
dingbat

Next time you have a dinner party and you are showing off your induction hob to your friends just remember that you are using twice the resources and producing twice as much pollution as me, with my gas hob!

shokk

Reply to
Shokka

Woopee for you - must be nice to be /that/ self-righteous.

How about doing a full systems analysis on your whole life? How efficient is your house heating? Your car? Your food products? Really, get over it.

What percentage of household energy (in the UK) is used for cooking?

You're not a gegraphy lecturer at a poly, are you? Sound like one.

Reply to
Grunff

Ooh, there lies a completely unrelated rant. Why have geographers got rid of the interesting bits of their subject (ie physical) in favour of the boring human stuff?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Because it's easier to teach and get everyone to pass with a

1st/A***/whatever.

Touchy-feely is the new physical.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Well, induction hob owners are always bleating on about how efficient they are. maybe they should be less self riteous, hmmmm?

Why? I don't go on about how my heating system is better than anyone elses, do I?

No idea, that isn't the point.

Reply to
Shokka