incompatible waste trap

Trying to fit a cloakroom basin ... and find the waste doesn't seem to fit any standard plastic bottle trap (which would be hidden in the cupboard beneath)

The threaded part of the waste (a chrome click clack type) seems to be about 38mm external diameter. but is too narrow for the thread on a std plastic bottle trap thread to grip.

With it there is also a smooth "extension tube" (10 cm long, non threaded about 31mm external diameter) which can screwed onto the bottom of the waste.

Not sure where my inlaw got it from - Generally, it looks to be good quality... but as I said doesn't seem to fit the std bottle trap...

I wonder if its some sort of continental fitting? And Ideas on the simplest way to connect it up?

thanks for your help AJ

Reply to
aj

Pictures say a thousand words. Put up a couple of pics, one next to a std. 32 or 40 mm waste fitting,and it can be clearly seen, and advice may be forthcoming. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Yes, sounds like something Italian or somesuch.

I had this problem when SWMBO ordered a fancy Italian designer kitchen sink. Basically, the supplied waste would not mate up to anything I had to hand.

Took it up to Plubmer's Merchant and he took one look at it and said 'Ahh, fancy Italian sink, sir? you'll need to be throwing that supplied wase in the bin, and take one of these UK standard ones..."

That worked fine. The cut-out in the sink seemed to be the same standard size, and it accepted the new waste no problem. Looks identical.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

I've had some luck with

similar situations if it's only a small difference. Standard bottle trap will attach to the bottom off it. Some ptfe tap round the thread (just to thicken things, not to seal) can help too. They also do
which will convert the extension tube to standard 1.25" if you have space.

andrew

- excuse my ignorance but when it says "BSP Coupling Flush Spigot 1

1/4" does this mean it is changing BSP to 1 1/4 ... (don't think there is anything british about the thread on my waste) or converts some standard european (which is probably what I have) to BSP 1 1/4?

this looks useful as well ... if I have the space .... do u know how long it is - looks about 4 inches long?

thanks again AJ

Reply to
aj