Incandescent phone charger?

Hi all,

I was chatting with daughter and her b/f about lights and lighting and the efficiencies of different types etc. She then asked "why can't we actually use the heat from a std lamp for something useful" (other than heating your house etc).

That set me thinking that could you (in theory) make say a table lamp with a 'shade' made from some thermoelectric power generator material and therefore have that waste heat charge your phone or summat?

I'm not (seriously) suggesting this as an alternative to CFL's , or that this would be the ideal or practical use of the technology etc, just wondered if it could work?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I have a small Peltier chip here and am always amused how little voltage it takes to burn one finger whilst freezing another and at the same time. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

You could in practice. I think oil lamps were used to power radio receivers, in wartime?

Owain

Enthalpy. Then the maths gets hard.

The hand-waving version is that "Hot" is useful in a way that "Warm" isn't. Even when the total energy is the same, i.e. a kilogram that's

10=BAC warmer is much more useful than 10kg that's only 1=BAC warmer.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

a few of decades ago you could buy a Russian thermocouple gizmo which fitted on top of oil lamp and would power a transistor radio. Handy in the Urals and cosmetically satisfying.

rusty.

Reply to
therustyone

lovely idea for a ditzy eco-gimmick: Mamod steam engine hooked to a dynamo. Would do more than most PV panels anyway.

Use a light bulb to heat the boiler...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, and it works. You could try it quite easily.

But what... the efficiency of thermocouples is very low, and they cost money. And jsut how useful is a low voltage lower power output that only comes on a bit after you switch the light on?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Well we used to heat our pies in a wire basket propped over the upturned inspection lamps at work. Light, hot pies and a nice smell wafting over the shop floor.....

Reply to
Harry

Hmmmmm ...

Thanks for all the replies guys and I'll pass the projects and examples back to daughter.

Only goes to show there are few new ideas in the world. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hmmm ....

why not use efficient lights, that don't put out heat ... and then charge via normal charger ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes

or to drive a Stirling cycle engine.

Reply to