In the clear

It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's the higher powered variants that are affected?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What engine does it have? When I asked a VW garage about a 1.6tdi Jetta they did not know.

Reply to
Michael Chare

2.0 tdi. 150 bhp.

No need to ask garage now, just enter your VIN on the VW website.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The 1.6TDI in my 62 reg Octavia and 2015 Yeti will both be recalled, apparently. They aren't what I'd cal high powered.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

Perhaps "higher power/capacity"? Certainly both the Octavia and Yeti are big cars to be pulled around by a 1.6l diesel. I'm guessing these engines are running higher boost pressures.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Good to know.

Pity they don't link it to the reg number...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I don't see the problem. Even removing this software will not make it produce any less pollution when driven normally. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've read a few things (and someone on the radio yesterday) said the fix will reduce the emissions at the cost of a significant reduction in output power, with speculation that VW are going to have to compensate owners because it's going to be quite noticable. Some have suggested not getting theirs fixed. It's not decided what to do about that in the UK, but it is likely to me met with higher emissions tax at a minimum, but more likely future MoT failure.

Some discussion that government could claim back excess emission tax from VW (it has said they won't claim the past excess from owners), but going forward after the fix is available, that would be down to the owner.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The govt have said they won't do that, unless they qualify that as applying for "fixed" cars only.

It only needs to pass a smoke test, NOx and CO2 are not measured.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You mean it matches its test results on the road? Somehow, I doubt it.

It is basically a small diesel with plenty power, but without the emission hardware others needed. Which is why many engineers involved with the design of such things knew it was a fraud.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It will if it forces it into emission passing mode only. Which is the obvious thing to allow.

What I'd guess will happen is VW will have to fit the extra hardware to give the same performance while passing the emissions test. Which won't be cheap or quick.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd hope this will change - and quickly. Since they do measure emissions on petrol cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You want to pay another £10 for your MOT test??

CO2 is preferable to any other gas, so not sure why you want to measure it?

CO is measured, and is a good indication of burn quality/mixture.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Why is it going to cost more to test for hydrocarbons etc on a diesel than on a petrol?

Both CO and hydrocarbons are measured on a petrol engine.

Not so on a diesel. Only a smoke test.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Be a pedantic wanker if you like, but you know full well what I meant. It is not subject to a recall.

I'm sure that's true of the ones being recalled. The fact that no "cheat" software was used in our car may indicate that it wasn't needed to pass the emissions tests.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Is it yet certain if any sold in the UK will have a recall?

The US tests are different to the UK ones. And the only test a used UK diesel has to pass at MOT is basically a smoke test.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, 1.2m of 'em across the brands.

Reply to
Adrian

Others in this group (with 1.6l) engines have had information that their cars need work.

Um, no idea what point you're trying to make. My car isn't being recalled. Presumably this means it passed the tests it was required to pass for a UK/EU market without needing any cheat software. MOT tests have nothing to do with this.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Neither does he.