In praise of Earlex

The hose end split on a 5-month-old Wickes-badged vac. Wickes told me to call Earlex. Earlex immediately sent a replacement, no fuss. It was too short. Overnight they sent the correct longer one with a prepaid label, trusting me to return the first. Not bad for a product costing less than £40. No connection except as customer; I just thought it worth sharing.

Reply to
rrh

We love to hear about the good ones. If only we could complain as well as we can praise. Maybe we wouldn't have some of the troubles we get. :-)

Earlex is now on the good guys list for a Christmas card then? lol

Reply to
BigWallop

Subject: RE: Looking for a replacement volume control pot!

Hello Adrian,

I am sorry to say we do not send out any parts to anyone but authorised distributors for Cyrus. All we can do for you is book in the unit for a fixed price service. The cost will be £178 + shipping of £18.80

Rgds Br..

Cyrus Audio Ltd

No Christmas cards for them ...

Reply to
Adrian C

I needed a volume pot and a phono jack plug for a Marshal guitar amp as my son broke them off, I phoned marshal they arrived next day free of charge so the good guys do exist

Reply to
Kevin

They're unlikely to be the only ones to use this pot so worth doing a search. They also might not be allowed to pull this trick in other countries - if they sell there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

sharing.

And they are good vacs as well. I've a grotty one used in the workshop to suck up swarf, and a pristine one I use with a vacuum hold down clamp for engraving

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Not quite d-i-y but anyway...I had a Tefal frying pan and the base had become convex and that meant more oil than was desirable had to be put in to enable the oil to spread all over the base,otherwise it just sat round the edges .I e-mailed Tefal and send them a pic of the problem and they sent me a replacement pan a couple of days ago...a different pan as that model has been replaced and I suspect a better one . Thx to Tefal. :-)

Reply to
fictitiousemail

BigWallop formulated the question :

OK, I'll play....

I bought a Plantronics bluetooth ear piece for my phone about 18 months ago. I had gone through quite few different makes, which all failed for various reasons, but this one was both rather good and secondly very comfortable to wear.

A matter of months after getting it, the plastic over ear hook started to fall apart - so I repaired it and repaired it. Eventually a few weeks ago I decided to write to Plustronics and ask if they could supply just the hook, as it was held on with an easy to remove pin. No said they - it was all or nothing, send the broken one in and they would send out a complete new replacement - a later and a better spec model.

My 11 (eleven) year old car is fitted as standard with an LCD auto dimming mirror, which has a known tendency to leak the LCD chemical when it gets old. Which happened in my case. The mirror is made by a US company and they cost £150 each. I wrote to them explaining what had happened, they wrote straight back asking for the VIN make and model, plus some photographs of the failure. They wrote back again with a customs form to be completed, plus claim form and said a new replacement was in the post -to reuse the packing from that to send the old one back. They paid postage to me and prepaid postage for the return of the old one collected from my door. Total cost to them around £220.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

hence the trend of items to be labelled "No user serviceable parts inside"

Often parts exist in a form that allows them to be used on assembly lines. The name badge owner may not have access to 'spares' as they bought a sub-assembly - ie a circuit board.

Reply to
John

Sounds like a reasonable offer .Did you not accept?

Excellent service above and beyond the call of duty.

Reply to
fictitiousemail

I'd agree with that. I use mine for sucking the water out of rads, cisterns etc & with a dry filter I can use a circular saw inside a customers house with almost 100% extraction.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've got an ancient Rowenta still in use for this sort of thing. Was a Which best buy - and they were certainly right. Who said the French suck?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had good service from them in the past as well, for both steamers and the vacuum I use in the garage. They were quite happy for me to pick up spares in person when I lived in Godalming - the factory was just down the road from the house. The only argument I have with them is that their mains leads are too short. They seem to prefer having enromously long suction hoses to having adequate mains leads. The Henry is much better in this respect.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have had similar dealings with Earlex, who readily and rapidly supply replacement parts for my elderly Earlex steam cleaner. Although they do charge for them, their prices are very reasonable.

Reply to
Anne Welsh Jackson

Ah, good timing. I appear to have finally killed the elcheapo wet'n'dry cleaner thing that I've been using (smells like cats piss anyway - I'm not sad it's finally died :)) with plaster dust today. 40 quid from wickes sounds promising - how is it with plaster dust?

I assume bags are easy enough to obtain (from Wickes?)

Might pick one up tomorrow....

Darren - who now needs to work out how to get the plaster dust out of the miele "bag full" gadget before SWMBO notices :)

Reply to
dmc

In message , dmc writes

As has been said, they are badged Earlex machines so bags should be easily available, including online

Reply to
chris French