Improvised Angle drill

Page 1 of 2
Problem today drilling holes through a rafter / joist combination for coach bolts - needed to drill 36 holes and couldn't get the ordinary drill into the joist space at the right angle - ok go buy a cheap angle drill - look at Screwfix - only expensive battery ones that probably aren't powerful enough anyway. Got one of those nasty 90 deg gear boxes but they spin all over the place and run horribly hot.
Improvised Solution: Standard Bosh angle grinder has a 14mm male stud - ex old drill chuck has a 3/8" UNF male stud. Made an adaptor out of 35mm of 3/4" hex steel bar with a 14mm female thread at one and and a 3/8 UNF female thread at the other - screw it all together and we have a (rather fast) angle drill at zero cost. Drills 10 mm holes nice and square to the joists - problem solved! OK it runs far too fast really but got the job done, and to think I've struggled all these years under floors drilling slightly angled holes for cable runs that you can never pull through in long lengths due the the angles and I had a disguised angle drill in the tool box all the time!
Andrew Mawson
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:31:44 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"

problem solved and still cheaper than an angle drill. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Add pictures here
βœ–

good idea, I will definitely copy the idea.
MrCheerful
Add pictures here
βœ–

aaargh just ordered the Ryobi "twin pack" from toolstation
on the other hand, the time I'd spend messing about making an adaptor and hunting around for my old power controller, it's probably worth the £109....
Add pictures here
βœ–

Did you have to thread the steel bar? How much is the cheapest Bosch angle drill? Where do you get, and how much is a speed controller? I haven' seen one of those for years.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Bosch angle grinder in toool box for last 7 years - no idea of price Threading of hex bar simple job on lathe - took 10 minutes as I have the appropriate tooling Speed controller - haven't a clue as I didn't use one.
Andrew Mawson
Add pictures here
βœ–

So if I go to a local machine shop, they will charge me £20 to do it, then I have to buy then Bosch angle grinder, then the mains speed controller. And it is not guaranteed to work either. The chuck could spin off causing injury. All ads up. A search on Goggle gives £112 for a mains angle drill. Rip off I know. The Royobi twin drill pack with an angle drill, then looks excellent value for money.
Add pictures here
βœ–

reasonable cost? Sure there must be a market for a gadget like that.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–

Put a blunt drill in and at that speed you'd probably burn through the joist. But for someone like Ferm ISTM that they would only have to change the gear ratio and add a chuck to be able to offer a £25 angle drill, though when we discussed this a while back the feeling seemed to be that the market just wouldn't be big enough.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
βœ–
Kalico wrote:

You have to satisfy CE safety etc, which I'm sure a cheap conversion kit would not.

All the big players make battery angles drills: DeWalt, Bosch, Makita. Ryobi have now come on board and there are a few brands only available in the USA too. And you may find soon that others will follow. A cheap main drill can be thrown together for under £20.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tony Bryer wrote in message ...

Yeah, only ever used to drill square through joists. No market at all really, apart from plumbing and electrics. :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:34:14 -0000, "stuart noble"

I sent an email earlier today to NuTool, putting forward a suggestion that they might like to think about bringing out an angle drill, and also a laminate trimmer. I enclosed links to the tools I was suggesting to ensure they fully understood what I was referring to. No response as yet and perhaps there never will be.
However both of these devices are well within NuTool capabilities to mass produce, and they could mop up if they brought out tools at a sensible price.
If enough people put forward the same suggestions I'm sure the relevant notice might be taken.
PoP
-----
My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk
I apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!
Add pictures here
βœ–

NuTool do not make them. Jinding make them and put NuTools name on them. The tools are from a standard catalogue. If Jinding make an angle drill then Ferm or NuTool, etc could have one. Jinding made 14 million power tools in 2003. Their catalogue is downloadable from the web site. You may recognise some of the tool types which may be called NuTool, Challenge, etc.
http://www.jinding.com /
Add pictures here
βœ–

The only 90 deg drill adaptor I've seen was £50+. You're right, it's a massive gap in the market. I used one once with a small flap wheel which was much more convenient than your standard drill. Personally, I wouldn't fancy a flat bit on an angle grinder.
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

I'm prepared to make a few adaptors if you have the angle grinder with a 14mm stud and the appropriate 3/8" UNF male chuck. What are people prepared to pay ?
Andrew Mawson
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

Well it's the usual story - it's not the actual job that takes the times it's the setting up and clearing up afterwards. Actually doing the job - probably 4 per hour - say £7.50 plus postage if enough people respond. Note this is ONLY to make the adaptor - 14mm female to 3/8" UNF female - you need your own chuck with a 3/8" unf male stud, and an angle grinder with a 14mm stud (they mostly are) and the use you put it to is ENTIRELY at your own risk.
If 10 people want them I'll make em
Andrew Mawson
Add pictures here
βœ–

There's inflation for you. ;-) Put me down for one, though.
--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

βœ–

You can put me down for one at a fiver.
--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

βœ–
Cheapest DeWalt angle drill £128 inc vat Gattos sw18

Add pictures here
βœ–